Money on hold

Tarah24
New Community Member
I requested money from my brother and he sent it. However it is being treated as if i sold him something and the money has been put on hold and I was charged a fee. Why did this happen and can the money be refunded to me?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tarah24 

If you 'requested' money then it would have been sent as a goods / services payment and you would have been charged a fee and it would be put on hold.

You should have told him to use the send money > family / friends option which if funded from a bank account or funds in a paypal balance there is no fee to the sender or receiver.

A 'money request' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
An 'invoice' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
'Send money > goods/services' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
A 'business account paypal.me' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.
A 'paypal.me personal account' is a friends/family payment.

As the funds are pending then you can't refund them BUT you could ask your brother to phone customer services and explain and ask if they will release the pending status so you can click on the transaction and use the refund option at the bottom of the details page.

You would only lose the 20p fixed part of paypals fee as the % part would be refunded at the same time you issued a full refund. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.