Money disappeared!

tonypdmtr
Contributor
Contributor

I look at my balance: EUR 40.xx

EUR 284.xx

-USD 2xx.xx (on hold until impatient client receives item from very late USPS due to COVID-19)

I make a payment of $4.34 for eBay fees

Now, I get a -EUR 154.xx balance screen and that I need to add money to my account.

I refresh the browser a few times.

Now, I see EUR 23.35 and that's it.  No balance including the pending amount, no negative held dollars.  And, the previous total with the current total does not justify the $4.34 I just paid (i.e. the difference is much more than $4.34 converted to EUR).  No other transactions are recorded in the history since.

Something's totally screwy with PayPal.  It just chewed my money!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

insas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
You have given so many numbers, couldn’t really follow. Just to be simple...have you tried logging out and give it around 10 minutes and then leg back in and looked at your PayPal statement? It should show you what happen. It could be little bit of delay.
Login to Me Too

tonypdmtr
Contributor
Contributor

A day later and the problem is still there.

Another strange thing I noticed.  The last two transactions are in USD with a positive balance. But the balance is in EUR and if you go to Manage Currencies, there is EUR balance but no USD balance.  Yet, there is NO transaction to convert from USD to EUR.  So, this alone proves there is something horribly wrong.

Due to COVID-19 madness, there is no phone support from PayPal.

So, somebody from PayPal please contact me!

Loss of money is serious!

As for the 'many' numbers:

Usable balance in EUR

Real balance in EUR including held amount(s) .

Held amount (as negative) in original currency.

Login to Me Too

insas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Right. Looks like you have received money in USD but since your account is in EUR it shows exchanged balance and that is the reason balance is changing because technically you have USD on your account and every time currency exchange rate changes your balance changes as your account main currency is EUR. Did you accept incoming USD as USD or you asked to change it to EUR straight away. If you accepted money and exchanged to EUR you won’t have USD balance anymore. Hope this makes sense.
Login to Me Too

tonypdmtr
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is still there.

No, there was no automatic conversion from USD to EUR.

There was a USD receipt, and until that time all was well. Two balances one in EUR, one in USD with the total being a positive EUR 40

(without counting the withheld amount.)

Later, a payment to eBay was made (via eBay one time invoice payment) for $4.xx.

That should leave me with a combined balance of about EUR 36. And, there should be a separate balance for EUR and USD as there was USD balance from where the eBay payment took the amount.

Instead I have a ~EUR 24 balance and in Manage Currencies it is all EUR, not combination of EUR and USD.

Either way, there's money missing.

And where is my pending amount that was blocked?

It vanished!  ~$236

I'm waiting for PayPal's response (I did a formal request) before I consult my lawyer.

Login to Me Too

tonypdmtr
Contributor
Contributor

From PayPal's reporting system I got the following which shows that during payment to eBay (same date and time down to the second) some magical automatic conversions took place (that don't show in my normal history) with the designation "eBay fees":

Date Time TimeZone Name Type Status Currency Gross Fee Net From Email Address To Email Address Transaction ID Shipping Address Address Status Item Title Item ID Shipping and Handling Amount Insurance Amount Sales Tax Option 1 Name Option 1 Value Option 2 Name Option 2 Value Reference Txn ID Invoice Number Custom Number Quantity Receipt ID Balance Address Line 1 Address Line 2/District/Neighborhood Town/City State/Province/Region/County/Territory/Prefecture/Republic Zip/Postal Code Country Contact Phone Number Subject Note Country Code Balance Impact
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------ ------------------------- ----------------- ---------------- -------------- ---------- ---------- ---------------------------- ---------------- ---------- ------------- -------------- ------------- -------------- ---------------- -------------- ------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -------------- ------------------------------------ ---------- ---------------------------------------------------------- --------------- ---------- -------------------- ---------- ---------- ------------ --------------
2020-06-01 18:00:48 EEST eBay GmbH Express Checkout Payment Completed USD -4.34 0.00 -4.34 tonyp@xxxxxxx Europe-epay-fees_epay.com 36G1[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]890 eBay Fees Debit
2020-06-01 18:00:48 EEST General Currency Convers Completed EUR -195.48 0.00 -195.48 tonyp@xxxxxxx 3U095947[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]00 36G18336W4519940 4550098784 1 23.35 +30 1234567890 eBay Fees Debit
2020-06-01 18:00:48 EEST General Currency Convers Completed USD 207.73 0.00 207.73 tonyp@xxxxxxx 6UL24170X67034512 eBay Fees 0.00 0.00 36G1[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]890 eBay Fees Credit

I've paid eBay fees before, and never had this happen.  What the heck is this?

Could it be some system hiccup because of the pending held amount?

Login to Me Too

insas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Have you sorted this? From what I gathered on your transcript it looks like that you paid $4.34 and if you did not specify $ before sending money it would deduct from your main currency which I assume is EUR. The other missing money seem to be EBay fees. Have you checked your eBay account? You should have a statement and invoice about your fees. And since you probably didn’t have enough in EUR that took a balance in all currencies and converted.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.