Linking my Capitec card to my Paypal account

Leesa-Beesa
New Community Member

Hi Paypal SA,

Please someone help me with instructions on how to link my Capitec card to my paypal account?

It keeps saying "Your card was declined by the issuing bank. Please try a different card or contact your card issuer with questions."

Please help?  Would like to transfer my money into my account.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Stibacs
Contributor
Contributor

Did you manage to get this right

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Stibacs,

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some issues linking a card. I was able to dig up a Help Center article you may find useful here: Why can't I add my credit or debit card to my PayPal account?

I hope that helps,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Bella134
Contributor
Contributor
Did you get it linked? How did you get it? Thank you
Login to Me Too

Temp20231024BY
New Community Member
Please help, I’m experience the same problem
Login to Me Too

Drie
Link my capitec card yo my paypal acc.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tommy

@Leesa-Beesa,

Hi,

When a card is declined by the card issuer, PayPal requested an authorization from your bank or card issuer to add the card to your PayPal account, this was declined. I would advise you to call your bank to check why they have declined this as they do not give us any information about it. 

-Tommy

Login to Me Too

chandrewilliams
New Community Member
I’m having a problem linking my Capitec card on the app
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Natasha

Hi @chanderwilliams-

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I am sorry to hear you are having a problem linking a card. Not to worry. We have this article to assist further when you get an error while trying to add a card. I hope this is helpful. 

-Natasha
Login to Me Too

TOETOES5
Contributor
Contributor

IAmDon
New Community Member

You cannot link a South African bank account to PayPal as PayPal only links USA bank accounts and is a USA bank. For South Africans, this is Forex (foreign exchange transaction).

You can only link your Visa / Mastercard to your PayPal account in order to make payments. To link your card, you need to have a little money in there as PayPal will charge up to $2 to ensure it is a valid card. You also need to make sure you have turned on "Internet Banking" on your Capitec account which you can do via your app. You also need to make sure you have a limit set for online purchases, also can be done via the app. Once linked, you can use your Capitec / Mercantile / South African bank card to make payments via PayPal. 

If you need to withdraw funds from PayPal, you cannot do it like an American could as it isn't a withdrawal. it is Forex. FNB is PayPal in South Africa and you will need to create an online profile with FNB. You don't need an FNB bank account, just the online profile. Once you have created an online profile you can link your PayPal and Capitec bank accounts in order to do a PayPal withdrawal. During the process, as with all Forex, you need to declare what the funds are from for tax purposes. Different forex codes and reasons incur different charges and have different tax implications. FNB PayPal can be contacted via [Removed]  for more assistance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.