Link a foreign currency account to my Australian

Fangslash
Contributor
Contributor

Basically the title.

I have an Australian Paypal with USD on it, and would like to link it to a Foreign Currency Account (with CBA, a local Australian bank) that only accepts USD.

The problem is you can't treat it like a normal Australian bank account since Paypal will try to send AUD to it and get rejected. What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Fangslash, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

Although your mailing address isn’t in the United States, you can add a U.S. bank account to your PayPal account.

Here’s how to add a U.S. bank account to your PayPal account:

1. Go to www.paypal.com.au and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘Bank Accounts’ under ‘Financial Information, then click ‘Add.’
  4. Select ‘United States’ as the bank account country.
  5. Enter the bank’s name, then select ‘Current’ or ‘Savings.’
  6. Enter the bank’s sort code and your account number, and then click ‘Continue.’

You can withdraw money from your PayPal account to your U.S. bank account.

Note:

• Your sort code is the first set of numbers at the bottom of your check. A sort code usually has 9 digits.
  • Your bank account number is the second set of numbers at the bottom of your check.
  • If you receive a message that says, ‘You have entered an invalid sort code,’ it could mean that the sort code you entered is incorrect or that we do not currently accept that bank.

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Fangslash
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately this is not related to my problem. I am trying to link an Australian Account (Australian, not U.S.), but the Australian account only accepts AUD.
Login to Me Too

Nathanos
New Community Member

I also have the exact same problem. I tried calling Paypal support and they couldn't understand the concept of a foreign currency account. 

I have a USD currency account in CBA (An Australian Bank). The bank is in Australia (not US) and in this US Dollar account is in this Australian Bank. It has the nice feature of allowing transactions in US dollars. It has nothing to do with the USA other than US dollars are transacted in this Australian account. --- Imagine holding US dollars in your hands but standing in Australia.

I can't link this US Dollar Australian bank account to my Paypal account. It is unable to send US dollars from my Paypal account as US dollars to my US Dollar Australian bank account. 

Please help because I have shutdown payments via Paypal and am accepting credit cards only on my website.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

Sarallano
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. I need to use my Foreign currency account but it is an Australian account not US. 

Did you get an answer?

Login to Me Too

unmarkedprobe
New Community Member

I am having trouble with this too. 

I have a USD foreign currency account set up with NAB.

I want to fund my paypal account with USD. 

Although I can't link the bank account with Paypal. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated @PayPal_Siobhan2 

Login to Me Too

Tarunbryce
Contributor
Contributor

I also share this exact same issue, 

I have a FCA (Foreign Currency Account) with CBA (Commonwealth Bank of Australia). It holds USD, which is great if i could use it to buy things directly on US websites and send IMT's without conversion fee's. 

But I assumed that it was a straight forward linkage..... it seems not.

Paypal Australia get your act together and answer. 

Login to Me Too

Shaned123
New Community Member

Exact same problem here.....
Would be nice to hear a comment from paypal AU here...

Login to Me Too

Ohverture
New Community Member

Same problem, still haven't gotten a straight answer. Supposedly they're going to call me back and let me know.

Mind you, if I had to guess, it's that they claim a fee-free withdrawal to an AUD account but the exchange rate is so pitifully below market that they get more than they would for a flat fee anyway. It's - well, it's business, but it should be criminal. It's enough to make me look for a new payment gateway for our company.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.