Is Paypal really going to keep attempting to withdraw money from my bank?

lme94
Contributor
Contributor

I am freaking out here. On Friday, a hacker made a large purchase of over $1300+ from a site where I had my Paypal attached as a payment method. I did everything I needed to do to cancel the order, but Paypal was already in the process of attempting to withdraw the funds from my bank account. I also opened a case on Paypal about the unauthorized transaction, but it was closed by them since the shopping site issued a refund that is in pending status.  Now I would assume that the entire transaction on Paypal, both payment and refund, would now be cancelled since no funds actually transferred. 

I'm freaking out because of this email below. Please ease my mind and confirm that the email is just an auto response and Paypal is not going to try and withdraw this money from my bank account every 3 days? I cannot afford non sufficient fund fees and the $1300 amount is not going to magically appear in my account.

"You recently attempted to transfer funds from your bank account.

Your bank has declined the funds transfer because your account did not have sufficient funds available. We will automatically re-attempt this transfer in 3 business days. Please fund your bank account immediately to ensure this transaction can be completed.This may happen even if you’ve tried to add money to your PayPal account since the payment was authorized, or your recipient has refunded your payment. Be aware that if a payment is rejected due to insufficient funds, your bank may charge a non-sufficient funds (NSF) fee.

While this transaction has already been flagged as unauthorized, our external processor cannot be prevented from continuing with the representment process."

The part I bolded is of extreme concern to me. Cannot be prevented? Are you kidding me? I contacted Paypal customer service and am awaiting a reply, but I'm curious about others who have had this type of problem and if it was resolved satisfactorily. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Donna

Hello lme94,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

As your question is very account specific, I would advise you to contact our customer care department who can help you further. You can do this by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You can also contact us via our Facebook Page or Twitter @askPayPal.

-Donna

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_Donna

Hello lme94,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

As your question is very account specific, I would advise you to contact our customer care department who can help you further. You can do this by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You can also contact us via our Facebook Page or Twitter @askPayPal.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.