Invalid Card Number - I am going crazy

kenzsells
Contributor
Contributor

I've never had a more frustrating experience with a website. I created a paypal account today. I went to add my bank card and received an error message saying "Invalid card number. Please check the number and try again". I double then triple checked my card number to make sure I was putting in the correct information (which I was). The expiration date is correct, and I entered it in the correct format paypal requires "00/0000". There is plenty of money in my account. I called paypal regarding this issue and their customer service team said it was something on my end, which is impossible since I just used my visa/debit at a store, as well as to make an online purchase today. I tried adding my bankcard on my computer, a friends computer and even my phone. I tried using safari and google chrome and CONTINUE to get the same "invalid card number" which is NOT invalid. I called paypal back to explain my situation and their customer service team said there was nothing on their end that they could do. I asked to speak to a manager. The manager said that it ISN'T actually my CARD NUMBER creating the error but that the billing address doesn't match up to the information attached to my card. (again doesn't make sense since i JUST purchased something online). I called my bank to verify that the information that they had on file (my billing address) was the EXACT SAME as what I was entering on the paypal website. It is. Still cannot figure out the problem. Customer service has been incredibly unhelpful. This is clearly something on the end of paypal. Anyone else experienced this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

cdnrissa
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue with a credit card after I moved some years ago.  The problem was finally traced to some database that had a previous, previous address (that I hadn't lived at for about 10 years).  Once I entered the old, invalid address, it worked.  If you have a suite number, that can also cause this because the two systems that are being compared don't always store the street address in the same way.  And you only get this resolved if you get a really good, persistent individual in customer support.  Good luck!!

Login to Me Too

AlisonOliphant
Contributor
Contributor

I tried changing to an old address hoping that after months of trying to add a card (the only card I've had since before moving from that address, so I really thought the problem might be solved) and hours of 'chatting' with morons, that might work, but still getting the same old 'invalid card number' message. How I wish someone would set up a rival to Paypal - I hate them for all my wasted efforts, but have to admit that they are convenient, so forced to use them.

Login to Me Too

DirtyWhistle
New Community Member

I've had this issue also,it depends on how your adding your card,say your adding it to pay for netflix,dont go to paypal just add the card as debit or credit,when you add it as paypal with the cash card it says invalid credit card probably something to do with mastercard numbers i suspect.

Login to Me Too

Ursiemajor
Contributor
Contributor

Ugh thank you! I was gonna go freakin nuts. “But, I literally just activated it the other day? It works? What the hell?”

Login to Me Too

jwayne3637
Thanks I am going to try that now
Login to Me Too

jwayne3637
You were absolutely correct ! Thank you so very much .
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

has it been added before?

name on both accounts must match exactly,johnny and john wont work

who issued the card?

Paypal does not accept bank cards from cyber only banks

Login to Me Too

Galaxitus
New Community Member

There's not only the information that has to fit.

Seems like each card number has some sort of hidden "risk" or whatever rating which seems to be shared globally. That value seems to varies depending on where the card was issued and by which financial firm or bank. For example, digital-only (cyber) bank have super low rating right from the start while international banks with high standing in the financial world has high rating.

It seems that Paypal card registering system consider that number and, if the rating is too low, blacklist certain cards.

In my case, I have this problem with a Mastercard card and that's because of Paypal's system being US-based on the date and warning system. To put thing in a simple perspective, in Canada, the expiration date on a card is on the 1st of the month while in the US it's on the last of the month. This made Paypal start giving me warning of the expiration of my card 2 weeks AFTER it expired. (On top of that, my new card was issued at my previous address, which luckily at least, was my parents' where I lived while I was studying.) During those 2 weeks, the number of failed purchase attempts on my credit card was insane and Paypal was automatically taking it from my bank account instead as the 2nd payment method.

When I tried to update the card as I received the new one my parent mailed to me, it wasn't able to do it. I decided to remove the card and add it back in and, at that point, the card number is "invalid" in Paypal's system. When I contacted the support, I was told that too many failed attempts was done on the card and it's blacklisted. Only solution is to get a new card with a new number from the financial institution who issued the card to me.

Login to Me Too

Graven_MkKain
New Community Member
I'm recieving that error as well and I JUST got my card. I havent seen anyone discuss a possible solution tho
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.