Insufficient funds

Pcg112019
Contributor
Contributor

If I send a payment on a Friday and on Monday my bank account doesn’t have enough funds to cover it, will the receiver of my payment still receive it and my account just overdrafts?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pcg112019 

If the bank payment went through as instant bank transfer which is backed up by a linked credit card, PayPal fronts the money ahead to recipient immediately and waits for your payment to clear. And should there be insufficient funds, add funds to your bank account asap because PayPal may attempt up to 2 more times, with your bank possibly charging multiple NSFs. Otherwise, it goes by eCheck, which are super slow, and both parties have to wait for funds to clear before the recipient receives it. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Pcg112019
Contributor
Contributor
Is there a way to tell if it was an instant payment? Sorry, this is only my second time using PayPal!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Pcg112019,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting. 

You will see the payment in the activity section of your PayPal account. When you review the details you will see how the payment was funded. When you use a bank account the payment will be sent as an instant transfer or an e-cheque as sharpiemarker said. If the payment is sent using an e-cheque the payment will show as pending until it clears from your bank account. If the payment is sent as an instant transfer the payment will show as complete with just the funding pending.

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.