Inconsistent Withdrawal Times, Something to do with new withdrawal email format?

Polyoptic
Contributor
Contributor

So last night I was withdrawing some money from eBay sales and over the last X years it's always been instant (although it says 0-2 hours).

When withdrawing it STILL said 0-2 hours throughout all stages, but suddenly the withdrawal email states 3-4 days??? I would mind less if they stated that when withdrawing but no it said 0-2 hours throughout.

I have noticed however the withdrawal email has changed. It has went from (and I mean literally from last week) stating "You recently requested a withdrawal of funds to your bank account" with the email saying "Funds will take up to 2 hours to appear in your bank account, but may take longer, depending on your bank." to "We're transferring money from your PayPal balance to your bank account" with the email saying ""You asked us to transfer £X GBP from your PayPal balance to your bank account, and we're processing it now. It usually takes 2-3 working days for transfers like this to be processed, so you should see the money in your bank account by 9 Apr 2018. "

Does anyone have any information if there has been a system change or something? It is very frustrating to suddenly go from instant to this with no indication when withdrawing.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Trackerpay
Contributor
Contributor

It has happened exactly the same to me.

Gone from virtually instant payments to 3 workings days (email estimate of withdrawal requested yesterday).

Throughout the withdrawal process it said 0-2 hours.

Login to Me Too

rachaelfiona
New Community Member

I have been absolutely pulling my hair out, having panic and anxiety attacks as some money I desperately require left this time yesterday, and as yet still hasn't credited.. I used to work for Barclays (who i currently bank with) on the exact helpdesk which I ended up needing to cal through to just now in a complete state of panic and impatience, as obviously having done the job i knew already before calling that if a payment coming in hasn't credited your account yet, there's no such thing as it being 'pending' in the banking system waiting to credit (or very rarely, on occasions such as incorrect account details) and that would be all they could do to (not) help, but adviese you to 'speak to the other side' to gt their bank to send swift message blah blah... I realised at this point if this is a genuine technical error and I do actually need to request that the other side traces from their end- then i'm stuffed, as is anyone else in this position with PayPal as there is no plausible way, you cant exactly just bring up and speak to someone like with your bank- or contact the sender of the funds... as it's Paypal who's actually sent  it... Then to top it all off, even the 'if the money hasn't shown up with 14 business  days (14!?!?!) then CONTACT US to perform search- also 'still can't find the answer?' CONTACT US' link direct you back to wait for it, paypal.com/self_help

- the page which youre already on which is just useless "FAQ'S". I thought I was literally going insane, and this has in current circumstances flared up my mental health problems. Only by chance did i take a better look on my laptop rather than phone and by chance come across your post- so thankyou been an absolute godsend! I never go to read the confirmation emais, none of them get opened even , everybody is obviously different, different situations and circumstances under which they're sending/ receiving but im fairly sure 80% + of people who, like us have been using this service for  years see no reasosn at all why they'd need to read that email- very bad when the confirmation on the withdrawal final screen staets 'this normally takes around 2 hours' and even the payment main, useles FAQ's when you first click on help read 'if it had not credited in 1/2 days max- contact us after 14 day..' so basiclally this is going to cause havoc over these next days/weeks as paypal deal with the mass panic 

Login to Me Too

Trackerpay
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to payments department an hour ago about my 2 withdrawals - 1 yesterday and 1 today.

Told they are aware of "Technical Problems and reported to IT".

My first payment email says due 9th April - Payments Department say I'll get it at 2.30pm tomorrow!

Second payment email says due 10th April - Payments Department say I'll get it at 8.30am on Sunday morning!

Mmmmm - something isn't right if they can be so precise on when my money will arrive!!

Login to Me Too

Polyoptic
Contributor
Contributor

Wonder why you would get the latter on Sunday and not Saturday. Definitely not right that they should know that accurately.

Login to Me Too

Magie-Financiè
Contributor
Contributor

This is PayPal we are talking about, inconsistency is their middle name. They have implemented a background change to their system, which has replaced the visual interface of the withdrawal screen and the mechanics of how withdrawals are processed. Whether this change was unintentional, which it seems not to be, is another question.

As per usual, these changes are not helpful to us. Rather than the previous system, which would advise on-screen that the transaction is being held for 72 hours, it now confirms as processed on-screen and even shows as completed on the transaction list after an hour, but the email states up-to 5 days with the date of completion estimation for the funds to arrive.

We are in 2018 and Faster Payments have been around for a while now. There is no excuse for taking a step back, they should be improving their security system to minimize holds rather than keep the hold and reduce the consistency of how the withdrawal process works.

I expect nothing more from PayPal to be honest. Security taken to extremes to cover their own backside from fraud losses and zero concern for consumer convenience.

Login to Me Too

Rik71
Contributor
Contributor

I've found a fix for this. If you withdraw the money using the PayPal phone app rather than logging in through your browser, the money goes straight through to your bank account as normal. Can't help with withdrawls already made though.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.