I linked and withdrew money to wrong bank account that does not exist

mikhaelacherry1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I am very frustrated here. I woke up at 5 am in the morning crying my balls out because I realized the money that I withdrew never arrived in my bank account after 4 days because the bank account I have linked had too many numbers. I thought the bank account was owned by somebody else, which means I have to deal with the person and ask him or her to send it back to me manually. Turns out, after had a nice chat with the Bank of America's manager, he assured me that the number that I linked to paypal does not exist and my number is a unique number, so there is no way it will transfer to any bank account. He told me that since I put the routing number (for Bank of America) when I linked the bank account, that means that paypal must have attempted to send the money to BoFa. But since the number does not exist, BoFa will reject the money, therefore the money will be back to my paypal balance. OR SO I HAVE THOUGHT, after a good 4 days waiting for the money to bounce back, I have yet to see my money back in my Paypal balance. I am very much upset and back to crying in my room in the middle of the night again. I have lost $500. It's half of my rent money. I am desperate to get it back. I tried to contact Paypal customer service for the past 3 days with no success. I am so frustrated right now and wish that Paypal headquarter is here so I can complain about my issue face to face. 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mikhaelacherry1 wrote:

Hi, 

I am very frustrated here. I woke up at 5 am in the morning crying my balls out because I realized the money that I withdrew never arrived in my bank account after 4 days because the bank account I have linked had too many numbers. I thought the bank account was owned by somebody else, which means I have to deal with the person and ask him or her to send it back to me manually. Turns out, after had a nice chat with the Bank of America's manager, he assured me that the number that I linked to paypal does not exist and my number is a unique number, so there is no way it will transfer to any bank account. He told me that since I put the routing number (for Bank of America) when I linked the bank account, that means that paypal must have attempted to send the money to BoFa. But since the number does not exist, BoFa will reject the money, therefore the money will be back to my paypal balance. OR SO I HAVE THOUGHT, after a good 4 days waiting for the money to bounce back, I have yet to see my money back in my Paypal balance. I am very much upset and back to crying in my room in the middle of the night again. I have lost $500. It's half of my rent money. I am desperate to get it back. I tried to contact Paypal customer service for the past 3 days with no success. I am so frustrated right now and wish that Paypal headquarter is here so I can complain about my issue face to face. 

It should eventually go back to your Paypal Account like your bank manager says and by PayPal policy. If in 14 days you do not see it, you have to get in touch with customer service to trace it for you. Keep calling them. I hope you have updated your bank info in the wallet so it doesn't occur again.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

how did you manage to link an invalid bank account number in the first place?

don't you have to verifiy it  ?

it wil come back to Paypal and PAYPAL will have to put it back into your Paypal account,but sometimes it could end up in a big suspense account ,you wil have to ask them to trace it.

good luck. 

Login to Me Too

mikhaelacherry1
Contributor
Contributor
The customer service told me that the paypal system assumed that the number was correct therefore we dont need to verify it to withdraw money. We only need to verify mobey if we want to add funds from bank to paypal balance. I have asked the paypal customer service but they keep telling me to wait and told me if the withdrawal is already completed, that means the transfer is already made?! I am panicking
Login to Me Too

LJCordero
New Community Member
So this is my first time using paypal since I won a raffle from USA and they sent the money through paypal. To my excitement, after I saw the money was already available and is ready to transfer to the bank account i immediately transferred the money. After 5days of waiting to receive the money to my bank account I realized that I mistyped the account #. So instead of 7473 I put 7374. Which made me realize that I am waiting for nothing. So I went to my bank the next day to ask if the account number has an owner or if it existed. The bank told me that the account # doesn’t exist which made me happy because that means the transaction would be invalid. Now my bank told me that they couldn’t do anything since there was no transaction happened to their part and told me to contact the paypal. I emailed the paypal and hoping and waiting for their response. May I know how long will it take to bounce back to my paypal account?
Login to Me Too

laizolive93
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, may i know if the money reversed back to your paypal after 14 days?

Login to Me Too

TOPAK376
Contributor
Contributor
I have a same problem . How i get my money back on PayPal 😔
Login to Me Too

mikeereyass
New Community Member
Did you ever get your money back?? The same thing just happened to me and PayPal customer service is not being useful
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.