tristanwang
New Community Member

I can't link to HSBC CANADA account

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Here are some common issues you might encounter when linking a bank account: The bank account must be a Canadian bank. The bank account can’t be linked to more than one account at a time. The bank account can't be linked if it has already been linked to 3 previous PayPal accounts. The name on the bank account must match the name on the PayPal account. We can confirm accounts from most banks and credit unions. Unfortunately, there are some banks that are not compatible with PayPal. Most online only, prepaid banks cannot be added to PayPal accounts. ***If you see a post that is helpful, kindly give the author Kudos or accept it as a solution. Thanks and have a great day! ☺
Login to Me Too

rayningnight
Contributor
Contributor

Just going to help point it out:

Here are some common issues you might encounter when linking a bank account:

The bank account must be a Canadian bank. - HSBC Bank of Canada is a Canadian bank. https://www.hsbc.ca

The bank account can’t be linked to more than one account at a time. - I haven't been able to link my HSBC account in the first place, and no one I know who uses paypal has either. 

The bank account can't be linked if it has already been linked to 3 previous PayPal accounts. - Same as the above answer.

The name on the bank account must match the name on the PayPal account. - Again, legal names are exactly the same. There's no option in the first place to enter the bank - through debit, credit or bank account. 

We can confirm accounts from most banks and credit unions. Unfortunately, there are some banks that are not compatible with PayPal. Most online only, prepaid banks cannot be added to PayPal accounts. - I think in this case, is HSBC not compatible, or has PayPal genuinely never tried to set it up yet? I see HSBC as one of the banks up there with BMO, Vancity and Scotiabank - it's a 'brand' name. I'd just like a confirmable answer whether it's just not compatible and never will be, or it could be compatible and there'll be an update to paypal somewhere in the future. Or at least, it's a known issue, and someone will eventually get to it.

Please just tell us if it's never going to be an option on paypal or it may be in the future.

Login to Me Too

rayningnight
Contributor
Contributor

Like above, there's no issue with the bank. It's under my name, it's a Canadian bank (HSBC Bank of Canada) and I have a Canadian paypal. It's a legitimate bank, not a prepaid or online only - there's thousands in the world, not just in Canada. 

This bank simply doesn't show up in the list of options for banks of Canada to choose from. It's kind of ridiculous that it's 2021 and this hasn't been solved - I've searched Google and other countries with clients from HSBC also have this problem. 

Login to Me Too

Sarahmurray604
New Community Member
Same thing for me. My HSBC account is from Canada in my legal name, not an online only bank, it has never been linked with anyone else’s PayPal account before at all, and still no option to pick HSBC as a bank from your “list of Canadian banks”, meaning it will be a longer more strenuous process to complete when it should be a breeze to whip right thru. Just satin’ I love PayPal and all but come on’ guys let’s update this issue!
Login to Me Too

Elissa3
New Community Member

I have successfully linked HSBC by putting in the transit code 016 in the search bar - and clicking Enter Your Bank Details in the pop up that shows up.  This took me to a page where I could enter the transit, routing and account numbers to create the link.  

Login to Me Too

thecheungs
New Community Member

Try entering these info: Transit Number <removed> , Institution Code <removed> . And then the receiving account number. Then it will show you have chosen HSBC Canada.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.