I can't convert EUR to USD - Not my browsers problems

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

I can't seem to get any help from CS. All I keep getting are canned responses, that I know are just hot-keyed template copy & paste.

To cover all my bases: I don't need to clear cache, I don't need to troubleshoot any software or browser issues. I've tried Brave desktop and mobile. I've tried Firefox. I've tried other Chromium based browsers, both desktop and mobile. The error is clearly Paypal, because I get this message: We’re sorry, things don’t appear to be working right now. Try again later.

Based on this message, something is keeping it from converting. I do have a pending payment with Amazon on my debit, but this has never interfered before. I'm trying to convert payments I'd received from Applike/Coinpop/those various German LLCs/GmbH. I recently converted currency without any trouble. Am I triggering some anti-bot system? That's the only thing I can think of.

Unfortunately, Paypal's CS keeps telling me to clear browser cache, start a new session, check my settings -- This is clearly NOT that kind of problem. I'm very tech savvy. This is the kind of error you get when something is interfering with the process on the other end. If something as basic as clearing browser cache actually worked, then Firefox would have worked by now. I get this same error on ANY BROWSER.

Please, for the love of whatever deity you choose, stop telling me to clear my browser cache, or ask me if I'm on the app. I have absolutely NO options to convert currency on Samsung Android. It's never been there for me. I'm always have to use Mobile or Desktop browser.

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry everyone. I've been busy, but a few days ago I asked what the status was on this. They told me that they tried making note of others who've had this trouble, and said I would be emailed once this was resolved. So... hopefully that's correct. But that means there's still no change. 

Out of curiosity, I tried to see if I could convert Euros to anything else, like British Pounds or the Canadian dollar, but I got the exact same error message. So, it sounds like this is a problem with the Euro itself, not just EUR to USD.

The up side: In spite of this, because Euros are "open" in my account, I can make purchases directly from my Paypal Balance. It'll use whatever's in your balance, and usually the currency with the least available is used before your more plentiful currency. So, for me, a recent purchase made note that Euros were being used before USD. Hopefully that helps.

Login to Me Too

Bayspoon
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately Ava, it doesnt seem to work like that for me. It's taking from my USD amount with purchases, rather than the EUR amount (that it wont allow me to convert).

Login to Me Too

khailc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Ava_B !

I don't know if this would apply to you but I've just had a similar problem today and what I did was open my Paypal account using my iPhone(Safari browser) and then converted my currencies using my phone. Somehow it went thru. I really hope this would apply to all.

Thanks!

Best,

Khail

Login to Me Too

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

That was never a possibility for me. I was already trying it through an Android browser app. In fact, I have 3 different browsers on mobile, 2 on desktop. This was a Paypal issue, not a browser issue. I already stated this.

Login to Me Too

Eshekieri
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I was also experiencing this problem but stumbled upon a fix for this. If you have any funds in USD, convert them to GBP first, then convert the GBP to USD. It worked for me. it works even if you just have 0.75 USD. convert them to GBP or any other currency and you will be good to go.

Login to Me Too

Bayspoon
Contributor
Contributor

So you're saying that you cant leave any USD amount in your account, covert it all to some other currency, then covert back to USD?

Wouldn't we be losing a decent amount of money doing all these pointless, extra, currency conversions?

Login to Me Too

Eshekieri
Contributor
Contributor

Its annoying really, I have been waiting for 7 days for them to resolve. Its was either I go through with the conversion or wait for paypal tech to fix the issue and we both know they could take weeks before they resolve the issue yet we need to move funds right now. 

I converted USD $0.75 to GBP, it was added to my GBP balance that initially refused to convert due to the error. When I attempted to convert the new GBP balance, Et Viola, the error ceased and it converted without issue. I now have my USDs ready for withdrawal.

Login to Me Too

Bayspoon
Contributor
Contributor

Oh my!! This actually works!!!

I converted 75 cents USD to euro, it converted (surprisingly). After that I was able to convert the entire EUR amount I had to USD. Thank you so much for this solution. That's so strange that fixes the issue, but it works!

Thank you, thank you!

Login to Me Too

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad it worked for you, but as I'd mentioned in my original post, I couldn't convert Euros TO or FROM anything. GBP and CAD were two different currencies I'd tried.

To everyone else: Please don't clutter my thread with talk of converting to GBP as a fix. What you all are running into has nothing to do with the issue I had, and I don't want others getting confused. My issue was a different issue, and there was literally no fix. As I'd mentioned, I had contacted PayPal, and after bringing my inner Karen out, they finally told me that they were aware of that issue, and they were (allegedly) working on it. Over time, it miraculously was fixed somehow, but they lied about contacting me when the issue was resolved, and I had to discover that on my own.

Again, the GBP fix didn't apply to me, because this fix means there's a new issue with Euros that's completely separate from the issue I had. Please start your own threads, because you have a fix for a brand new problem that happens to involve Euros. I'd started this thread because my issue didn't have a fix at all, and no manner of trying other currencies helped. All I did was waste my time.

Login to Me Too

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor
Initially Paypal wouldn't convert anything dealing with Euros. I had to Karen chat until someone was actually helpful & explained that Euros weren't converting period. It's finally working again, but they never emailed me as promised. I guess making money is more important than helping the users who keep them.in business. The roundabout mentioned in this thread is something I tried first, even to other currencies but no luck. GBP nor CAD were working for me. There's a chance it wotked for you because that's when the fix kicked in, lol.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.