How to prevent costly double conversion

ltheunis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I linked a EUR credit card to my Paypal account. When paying 100 EUR to a PayPal customer in AUD, Paypal first converts the 100 EUR to CHF and then to AUD. How can I prevent that?

Thanks and regards,

Lou.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

ltheunis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I contacted the helpdesk by phone and they said that it is impossible to prevent double conversion because the account is always in the currency of the country in which you are based. in my case I am in Switzerland so the Paypal account will always be in CHF. Paypal cannot change this and I cannot change this neither, for example by driving to a Euro-country and pretend I am now a EUR-customer. Paypal namely checks your phone number as well and if you don't have a phone number of a EUR-country, you change will not be accepted.

So, the way out is to link a CHF-credit card to the PayPal account. In this way there is only a conversion from CHF to AUD instead of EUR to CHF to AUD.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Lou.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ltheunis 

Because your PayPal account's home currency is CHF, PayPal will do that unless you indicate during checkout you want the credit card to do the conversion or contact PayPal customer service to always use EUR currency for that card:

Click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

ltheunis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I contacted the helpdesk by phone and they said that it is impossible to prevent double conversion because the account is always in the currency of the country in which you are based. in my case I am in Switzerland so the Paypal account will always be in CHF. Paypal cannot change this and I cannot change this neither, for example by driving to a Euro-country and pretend I am now a EUR-customer. Paypal namely checks your phone number as well and if you don't have a phone number of a EUR-country, you change will not be accepted.

So, the way out is to link a CHF-credit card to the PayPal account. In this way there is only a conversion from CHF to AUD instead of EUR to CHF to AUD.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Lou.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.