How to change Paypal currency conversion @ checkout ?

therabbit
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, everybody.

I'm just a regular Joe, buying & selling on Ebay. I do more buying than selling - and i'm a member since 2011.

There is this strange behaviour of the Paypal / Ebay checkout system. In the past, i used to see an on-screen option in which Ebay / Paypal would allow me to select my preferred currency conversion option. For example, if i buy something in US $ (USD) and my card account is in Romanian LEI (RON) i can either use Paypal's conversion and get invoiced in RON or get invoiced in USD and the conversion will be made with Masterdard's / Visa's conversion. Paypal's conversion is around 5% higher that Mastercard's and i always chose to pay using the card issuer's conversion - because it's to my advantage.

The point is i used to have a choice. Now i do not. Let me explain...

This is how the old checkout boxes used to look like :

CheckoutAmount.png

And this happened when i clicked "Other conversion options" :

CurrencyExchange.png

This allowed to choose the conversion option - and PayPal actually remembers it, each time i use that card.

Now, the new dialog looks like this :

NewCheckOut.png

... and there's no more option to choose what currency exchange to use, anymore :

NoCurrencyXchange.png

As you can see, all my cards are listed - old ones and new ones. The ones where i could do the currency exchange switch in the past, still.. work the old way - i'm billed in the foreign currency and i get the card issuer's exchange rate - even if i get this new dialogues.

However, if i pay with a newly added card and the above dialogue pops up, i pay at paypal's exchange rate and i don't get a choice, anymore.

I think this is unfair... the options to choose the conversion rate used to be available in the old Paypal account interface too - but, since they switched to this new, fancy, giant button & heavy multimedia loaded interface, that option quitely dissapeared.... and no-one seems to know anything about it.

How about you - have you encountered something similar ?

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

Duckmanus
Contributor
Contributor

This is just plain old robbery. I'm not **bleep** with this any more. Goodbye paypal. I would encourage everyone here to dump this underhanded business.

Login to Me Too

imaddicted2u
Contributor
Contributor

FYI: The link provided is for PayPal Merchant Technical Services not for consumers.

Contact tech support:

https://www.paypal-techsupport.com/app/ask

Don't waste your time writing to them.

"PayPal Merchant Technical Services provides assistance with integrating PayPal as a payment solution on the merchant's web site"

Thanks for trying sharpiemarker.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Then give em an earful here: https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/comment_card_d.asp

Or buy from sellers that is in your own currency/country.  That's what I do and always did.  I don't even come across this problem.  When I see a non-US denomination, I just go someplace else to buy.  I know it's not an answer people may like but I refuse to pull my hair out over it if the system is on the fritz.  Not much you can do to it but hope the system will one day sort itself out and simply use credit card to pay via merchant gateway (no PayPal log in), if possible.  I won't totally ace out PayPal, they are useful in some ways.

In fact, I had a recent problem with my incoming payments from PayPal button links and contacted tech support, they tried but in the end the problem seemed to sort itself out and appears to be working as it should again.  Go figure.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

olegkorolishut
Contributor
Contributor

So ebay via paypal will fix it, or we should go to aliexpress and amazon?

Login to Me Too

bancherkz
Contributor
Contributor

It`s only PayPal issue.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

1. Go to the checkout, choose PayPal and fill out your login information.
2. Instead of selecting your card and the conversion options, click on Switch account and DON'T fill anything in.
3. Open a new tab, go to paypal.com and log in to your account.
4. Switch back to previous tab and fill out your PayPal login information again.
5. You will be redirected to the older version of checkout, where the conversion options is working.

Login to Me Too

roughmetaphors
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the workaround, sharpiemaker, I can confirm that it works for me. Much appreciated!

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sweet!  Glad it's working out.  This whole issue's got nothing to do with terms, or necessarily about them trying to rip anyone off (a beneficial side effect nonetheless) but that the programming of this function to the new site is just plain sh*te.

So again for anyone with this issue, here is the solution again:

1. Go to the checkout, choose PayPal and fill out your login information.
2. Instead of selecting your card and the conversion options, click on Switch account (click arrow next to exchange rate) and DON'T fill anything in.
3. Open a new browser tab, go to paypal.com and log in to your account.
4. Switch back to previous tab and fill out your PayPal login information again.
5. You will be redirected to the older version of checkout, where the conversion options is working.

Login to Me Too

Deril
New Community Member

I'm in Serbia and have a problem with currency conversion.

Your version don't work in my case.Tried but nothing.

I don't know what to do.

Login to Me Too

torn1ke
New Community Member

omg. it's really working.

you save me. thank you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.