How to change Currency conversion option

Jithin_George
New Community Member

Recent changes to Paypal checkout process have removed the option I used to get to select Who converts currency. I prefer my Bank convert currency but the option is removed altogether and paypal charges my card in my local currency.

I see that the option to select who converts doesnt appear at all now during payment. I want to know if there is a settings I could change or some other way to by default let my bank convert currency for me.

Login to Me Too
86 REPLIES 86

Huh_wth888
Contributor
Contributor

@jarayama wrote:

That page isn't working for me, it just redirects to Manage Funding Sources (https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/connect/funding-sources text: "Choose your preferred way to pay for your subscriptions and automatic payments. Remember, we’ll always use your PayPal balance first.") and not the content described.

same here. another sophist comment.

Login to Me Too

Huh_wth888
Contributor
Contributor

@Den-grad wrote:

1. Log onto your PayPal account

2. Go to this URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding

3. Click “Conversion Options” beside the credit card and choose the appropriate option.

Save as much as needed.

Log-out + log-in again.

Sorry, but we don't see what you see.  There's zero (no conversion) option here. Only your list of credit cards that you have and the option to hit Save. Nothing happens afterwards. And we are NOT wanting to choose our preferred way to pay for our subscriptions and automatic payments. We want to select the currency for items in our ebay cart. 

Do people actually test before posting a supposed solution? It seems not.

Login to Me Too

akhairat
Contributor
Contributor
@Huh_wth888, Den-grad solution was right till few weeks ago, I did it many times and it was working, but it looks like they removed this option to force you to use their high-rate conversion option.

Login to Me Too

super_duckman
Contributor
Contributor

click on: Settings, payments, manage your automatic payments, the name of the payment, at Funding source click on your credit card, click on "see conversion options" (it's small next to the number of the card) then select convert with visa.

Login to Me Too

Huh_wth888
Contributor
Contributor

Lol  I'm beginning to think most of the replies are from bots like @super_duckman   Don't frustrate yourself and do what he says. He's copy and pasted from a thread long, long ago that no longer applies. 

Login to Me Too

super_duckman
Contributor
Contributor
im not s bot and I just did change it so I explained how. You press on the name of the payment example netflix then your credit card well look at the post..
Login to Me Too

Huh_wth888
Contributor
Contributor

@akhairat Well, that would be a first. This thread is full of sophism. 

Login to Me Too

super_duckman
Contributor
Contributor

https://youtu.be/YBwWOUiSzjo

there's a video on how to change it for automatic payments.

Login to Me Too

akhairat
Contributor
Contributor

@super_duckman this is going to resolve the issue for one specific automatic payment -read the header in the below image-, it is not going to change the default conversion option for your card which we are looking for.

akhairat_0-1607588607713.png

Login to Me Too

SpiritFly
Contributor
Contributor

So, PayPal changed the user interface and now the new user interface does not allow users to change the default currency for your payment methods at all.

At first, they had it hidden away in fifteen steps to get to it, which I am sure was intentional. Now they completely removed it from users and I already made multiple mistakes using their currency rate which is just ridiculous. 

I think we should report this to Dark Patterns - this deserves to be on the top of the hall of shame that companies do. Congratulations PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.