How do I move my refund back to my credit card?

Sprinkalou
Contributor
Contributor
I reserved a room using my Discover Card which happens to be the card linked to my PayPal account. I cancelled the room and the proprietor refunded me through PayPal. Is there anyway to move the funds from PayPal to my Discover credit card? I don’t want to have to pay the Discover bill and then have a credit with PayPal. Thanks
Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If you paid with a card, the refund will be credited back to that card - it can take up to 30 days (hopefully sooner) for the credit to appear on your statement.

How your money is refunded depends on how you made the original payment.

* If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your card.
* If the card you paid with is closed or invalid, the money will still be refunded to your credit card account.
* If you paid with your bank or PayPal account balance, the money is refunded to your PayPal account.   After you have received the refund, you can withdraw money from your PayPal balance to your bank account.
* If you paid using a credit card and your PayPal account balance, the amount paid by credit card is refunded to your card. The remaining amount is refunded to your PayPal account.
* If you paid using PayPal Credit, the amount is refunded to your PayPal Credit account.
* If you paid with a debit card, the amount is refunded to your debit card.  If the refund cannot be applied to your debit card, it will be applied to your PayPal balance.

Refunds to credit or debit cards can take up to 30 days depending on the card company involved.

Login to Me Too

Sprinkalou
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks GreenGear, I paid with a valid credit card but was refunded through PayPal, the owner happens to be a friend and just refunded it through PayPal. I don’t want to ask her to undo her refund if I don’t have to so I was just wondering if I could move the refund to my CC since it’s the card that is connected to my PayPal.
Login to Me Too

rolfepope
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is great at taking your money, but slow at returning it.

I purchased something about 1 Feb, but it turned out to be a fraudulent transaction.

PP has decided to return my money, but I still don't know when I will receive it. 

Try getting a person on the phone is a joke. 

Login to Me Too

kayochin
Contributor
Contributor
The refund should automatically be credited back to your card since that is what you used for the transaction. Only if you fund a transaction with bank or balance, would the refund go to your PayPal balance.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sprinkalou

I expect you mean that your friend 'sent' you a Paypal payment rather than using the 'refund' option, yes?

If so then no you can't withdraw to a credit card only to a bank account or debit card.

That is unless your other card is a pre-paid card that accepts transfers and is supported by Paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rhianlouiseedwa
New Community Member
It didn’t go automatically
Login to Me Too

Todd999
New Community Member

I refunded a customer and it DID NOT go to her credit card, it went to a PayPal account, which she doesn't use. 

I can't do anything through the resolution centre as it has been refunded and there is no way to contact PayPal as they have ZERO customer service.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @Todd999,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I am sorry about your issue. In general, when a refund has been issued, the money will go back to the original funding source. If the payment came from your card, it will be refunded to that card. If the payment came from the bank account, it will be refunded to that bank account. If the payment came from your PayPal balance, it will be refunded to the PayPal balance.

If that is not the case, please ask the buyer to contact our customer service by phone by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website and then Call us, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

lannyhsu

How long should we wait until we take action if we are waiting for a refund (whose initial payment came from a credit card) to return to the credit card account I used to pay for it?  Currently, the money just resides in my Paypal account balance which I am not happy about.  I cannot tell whether or not it's being "processed" to return to my credit card or not.  

I find it very unappealing that 1) a conference whose registration fees I paid for got cancelled due to the pandemic and I have to eat the cost of the processing fees and 2) I have to track down as to why my money hasn't gone back to my credit card yet and sits in the Paypal account which I don't want it to, 3) it won't let me open a case to resolve because the money was refunded (but somehow not directly to my credit card??)

I would think Paypal would go to bat for me somehow or at least allow me to contact them to express my concerns.  I feel reticent to use Paypal in the future for anything of this nature.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.