How can I get my money back after sending it with Friend and Family mode

miyu_p_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, recently I've made a payment to a seller with pay for friend and family mode. But for some reason, the seller get that money but can't withdraw it and the money is on hold for 21 days. But yesterday I found out she's a scammer since she didn't show up at my friend place to give her the goods as she promised and now she blocked my phone number and didn't answer to any text. 

Now I really want to get my money back but I have no experience in this so I hope you guys can give me some advices about this case. 

Thanks a lot. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

mdarrn
Contributor
Contributor

@miyu_p_ First of all... you shouldn’t use “Friends & Family” option to pay for products and services that is only to be used to pay “Friends & Family” not a stranger and you were trying to avoid paying PayPal fee so you avoided buyer protection buy not paying that buyer fee

Secondly whoever tells to you pay using “Friends & Family” option is probably a scammer so dont do it again unless you know that person.

Unfortunately, according to the PayPal user guidelines,you cannot dispute or make a claim on a payment to PayPal that was sent via family and friends because it is a direct payment therefore it is not stored on the PayPal database

if you paid by card and not PayPal balance then try contacting your bank and chargeback tell them you got scammed.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@miyu_p_ 

If you paid as friends and family, PayPal wouldn't hold the money for 21 days because there is nothing to ship. And there is no purchase protection for friends and family payments as it is a gift payment.

But to find out if you indeed paid as goods and services payment, click on the transaction, and then click "Report a problem" and see what kind of disputes can you file. If the only dispute you can file is Unauthorized Payment, that mean it is friends and family payment and is only for cases where the payment was sent without your knowledge.

If you can file Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described dispute then it is a goods and services payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.