Holds

mcomick
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, i have a new paypal account and my money is currently on hold for every new item that i’ve been selling online until the shipment is delivered and confirmed. just wondering when exactly paypal will stop putting holds on my money and let me immediately transfer it before the delivery is confirmed. my mother has a paypal account and is able to just immediately transfer without waiting for any shipment to be delivered.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Ysa_
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @mcomick

In addition, 

you can help to release them by shipping items right away and providing us with the shipping details.

Here's how:

Print USPS or UPS shipping labels with us. We’ll track the item and release the hold 1 day after delivery.
Add Tracking: Use one of our approved shipping carriers and add the tracking details on your Activity page. We’ll release the hold 1 day after delivery.

If your buyer confirms delivery on their PayPal account, the funds will be released immediately.

When a payment on hold is released, it may take until the end of the day for the money to appear in your PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Stay Blessed!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

Ysa_
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @mcomick

Good day! I hope all is well. Thank you for using community forum to be heard.

If your payment is on hold or not available right away, we’ll notify you via email or an alert on your Summary page.

Delaying funds availability is a common industry practice we implement to help ensure the secure use of PayPal by both buyers and sellers. By placing your payment on hold, we’re trying to make sure that there’s enough money in your PayPal account to resolve any issues that may arise with your account such as chargebacks or disputes. When subject to a hold, the money is temporarily not available to use.

If there aren’t any issues with your transaction or account, the payment will typically be released within 21 days after receipt. After your hold is released, it may take until midnight (but it's usually sooner) for the money to appear in your PayPal account.

Here are some reasons your funds may be temporarily on hold or unavailable:

1. You’re a new seller with PayPal or you’re an established seller but have opened a new account.
When you’re a new PayPal seller, it takes time to build up enough history to demonstrate a pattern of positive buyer-seller transactions. The good news is you can usually move out of this status by confirming your identity and building up a history of positive selling activity.
If you’re an established PayPal seller, but opened a new account, that account will be eligible for holds until a good history is established.

2. You haven’t sold in a while.
When your selling activity has been dormant for a long time, it will also take time to rebuild a history of positive buyer-seller transactions.

3. Multiple customers filed for a refund, dispute, or chargeback.
If multiple customers file for a refund, dispute, or chargeback, or if you receive a large number of refunds, disputes or chargebacks in a short period of time, it can delay the availability of your funds. The best way to resolve this is to work directly with your customers to prevent, or solve, disputes and chargebacks.
Sometimes it’s possible that your customer filed for a refund, dispute, or chargeback because someone illegally used their PayPal account to buy something. We ask that you hold off on shipping any items when this happens.

4. Your selling pattern appears unusual or has changed.
Unusual sales activity includes: an increase in sales or a change in average selling price, business platform, or type of item being sold.

5. You’re selling higher risk items.
Higher risk items can include tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages.

Stay Blessed!

Login to Me Too

Wobblydoggy
New Community Member

My Account is a new French Account as moving to France, but Shipping is being done by UK Royal Mail at present until I move from UK.

This is not on drop down list or is as other.

So I will have to wait 21 days to get my money whilst those who I send to will not only have the goods they will have cost me in postage too?

Login to Me Too

Aligningchakra
Contributor
Contributor

Your selling pattern appears unusual or has changed.
Unusual sales activity includes: an increase in sales or a change in average selling price, business platform, or type of item being sold.

Yes I have done the above. What is the solution to release my payments from hold. 

Also, I have updated my shipment track ID and it's been 5 days since the package has been delivered. Can you please suggest a helpful solution to release my payments?

Login to Me Too

quickbrick2000
Contributor
Contributor
Why is mine taking 12 hours I didn't sell a product.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Ysa_
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @mcomick

In addition, 

you can help to release them by shipping items right away and providing us with the shipping details.

Here's how:

Print USPS or UPS shipping labels with us. We’ll track the item and release the hold 1 day after delivery.
Add Tracking: Use one of our approved shipping carriers and add the tracking details on your Activity page. We’ll release the hold 1 day after delivery.

If your buyer confirms delivery on their PayPal account, the funds will be released immediately.

When a payment on hold is released, it may take until the end of the day for the money to appear in your PayPal account.

Stay Blessed!

Login to Me Too

RickyPi
New Community Member

What a load of BS

I followed those steps and STILL 2 weeks after delivery PayPal hasn't released my funds. Its beyond ridiculous. 
I've just started selling my items on Facebook as I can't deal with PayPal any longer. 

14 days after delivery! 

Login to Me Too

shadell92
New Community Member

Same! I followed all the guidelines and they are still holding my money! THIS ISN"T FAIR to business owner. Our customers received their products and we didn't receive our money! This is bad business. You guys aren't protecting the owners on their end. Plus you guys have the nerve to not pick up the line! IDC about COVID because there are many business having their agents working from home, so what's different with you guys! This is beyond crazy. Stop **bleep** us!

Login to Me Too

MCD7478
Contributor
Contributor

I even followed the message center guide/instructions and it takes you in circles, to make matters worse, there was no option to "Get your Money" only TRACK, REFUND or ARCHIVE... what a load of ______(you fill in the blank)

Login to Me Too

MCD7478
Contributor
Contributor

You are right, This is insane. I even asked my customers to check for a confirmed delivery button or section and they could not find one. These are good people I know. 3 people can't be wrong and lying about a button. How can we continue to buy supply, inventory and pay bills if the money we are making isn't available to pay the business bills? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.