Help! I sold an item to a seemingly legitimate company but did not get paid.

ajackson140
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anything I can do?  I sold an old computer of mine to sellyourapple.com and it was received nearly a month ago (processing times online show 3-4 days) but have not been paid though we agreed upon Paypal beforehand.  My efforts to contact customer service through email and phone call are now going unanswered.  I've pretty much accepted the fact that I got scammed,  but I am wondering if there are any additional steps I should be taking to protect myself and if there is possibly a way for me to end up getting paid. 

I just recently filed a police complaint (notified the company that I was doing so).  What else should I do? Is there a way to request a payment through paypal?  Or another means? 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ajackson140 wrote:

Is there anything I can do?  I sold an old computer of mine to sellyourapple.com and it was received nearly a month ago (processing times online show 3-4 days) but have not been paid though we agreed upon Paypal beforehand.  My efforts to contact customer service through email and phone call are now going unanswered.  I've pretty much accepted the fact that I got scammed,  but I am wondering if there are any additional steps I should be taking to protect myself and if there is possibly a way for me to end up getting paid. 

I just recently filed a police complaint (notified the company that I was doing so).  What else should I do? Is there a way to request a payment through paypal?  Or another means? 

You can report them at: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

You can send a PayPal invoice to their email address but no one can force them to pay. You already sent them the puter.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

gregers24
Contributor
Contributor

Sellyourapple.com a/k/a SYA a/k/a SYALLC IS A SCAM. You send them your Apple product, but they never send you payment. I have pasted my experience below. It appears that they are also getting negative reviews removed from their FB page. I myself tried to post a negative review on their FB page but was not allowed, so I created a separate FB page to visit. I have reported them to the Tempe Police Department, Arizona Fraud Squad, and Illinois Attorney General. I would encourage all other victims to contact the Tempe Police Department. The report number for my complaint with them is 18-130588. I have also been corresponding via e-mail with Tempe Police Officer <Removed> at [will not allow me to post e-mail address]. If victims could at least send her a quick e-mail, we can hopefully show how wide-ranging this scam is. I am currently in contact with others who have been victimized by them. However, I am trying to determine how many additional victims exist in the hopes of filing a class action lawsuit. Please leave any comments on the page.

MY STORY- I reside in Chicago. I responded to an online solicitation from SYA a/k/a sellyourapple.com. I provided them with the serial number for my computer, and based on that we agreed that I would sell them my computer in exchange for $95.90 to be sent to me via Venmo. Our agreement was that I would mail them my computer using a pre-paid mailing label they provided me, and send it to them at <Removed> Tempe, AZ 85282. Once they received and inspected my computer, they agreed to Venmo me $95.90. I put the computer in the mail on 10/3/18. They received my computer on 10/5/18. Pursuant to their email as well as their website status page, they agreed to send me payment within 3-4 business days after 10/10/18. However, I have not received any portion of the $95.90 they agreed to pay me. All of my recent emails to them inquiring into the status of my payment have gone unanswered. I have also attempted to reach them numerous times at the phone number contained in their emails, and also listed on their website. No one will answer.

Login to Me Too

gregers24
Contributor
Contributor

They got me too.   It is a scam.  I made a post in response to you on here but it was deleted.  I also tried posting my negative review on sellyourapple's FB page, but it got deleted.  I created a new page on FB with my story and steps I have taken.  I think we should all be contacting the Tempe Police Department and Arizona Attorney General to report them.  Contact information for them can be found on the FB page. I would post it here but it is not allowed.

Login to Me Too

ajackson140
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  gregers24  thank you so much for taking the time to reply. 

I am just wondering if you had gotten any update from the company. I have and I wanted to let you know. After I got several automated emails, I gave them a deadline of when I would be making a complaint.  After making official complaints with 4 agencies over a month ago, I got an email from the co-owener including the following message:

"Unfortunately, after reviewing your offer it looks like it is no longer eligible for payment due to negative content and reports filed.  Please review our terms of service, specifically the “publicity” section which contains the following:

Publicity
If you've had a positive experience with SYA, we encourage you to leave a review on Twitter! To reduce competitor sabotage, negative, false or misleading information, by using our service you agree to refrain from publicly or privately posting any negative content, reports, posts or reviews regarding SYA, it's entity or relation therof, without first entering a request for mediation or consent by contacting us. Doing so may result in collection of damages in the form of offer modification and payment compensation up to but not more than $500 per occurence. If payment has already been made, SYA will attempt to collect, reverse or dispute payments. If no offer exists, we will seek to remove any such content, reports, posts or reviews by any means possible."

Login to Me Too

noodles809
New Community Member

Has anyone gotten any updates about this fraud? I was scammed as well. I'm shocked that their website is still up after all the complaints I've read. I wish I had read about it before sending in my MacBook and had chosen a different company to sell my broken laptop. I'm so angry at them for not responding to my emails or answering the phone. I hope they at least recycled the computer for me... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.