HOW TO DE-LINK CARD FROM CLOSED ACCOUNT AND LINK IT TO NEW ONE

Danny1133
New Community Member

Dear Community,

About two weeks ago, my yahoo email account was hacked. As a result, I closed it and created a new one. As must be the case, I created a new PayPal account using the new email address. I have successfully created this (PayPal) account. The problem comes is when I want to link my card to the PayPal account. When I try to do this, I get a message that my card is linked to another PayPal account and I need to remove it from there! I have tried 'resurrecting' the old account so that I could remove the card from the closed account but the "Remove card" option (after clicking on "Wallet") does not show. 

Alternatively, I have tried linking my bank account to the new PayPal account but still the "Link a bank account" option does not show. It only shows linking for a card.

How can the community help me, EITHER to remove my card from the closed account OR to link my bank account to my (new) PayPal account?

Thanking you in advance!

Danny1133

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Danny1133

You didn't need to open a second paypal account to change your email address.

All you had to do was add a second email address to the existing paypal account > make that one primary and remove the old one.

You can have up to 8 email addresses on the x1 paypal account.

Before you close a paypal account you are supposed to remove any linked cards or bank accounts.

You can't remove cards / bank accounts from a closed paypal account, you would need to contact customer services and see if they are able to remove the card for you.

Click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available for your country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kitoro

Did yo ever solve this? @Danny1133 

Login to Me Too

BrittneyJ78
New Community Member
I have a similar issue, and I realize now you are suppose to remove the linked banking info/card before closing the account, obviously I'm dense and this did not happen, so I need to know how to resolve this issue. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic no representative is reachable via voice line, so are there other ways to resolve this issue/access a live representative? Thank you so much!
Login to Me Too

wniebgwbgwi-332
New Community Member

me too.

Login to Me Too

mia58

Could you please share how you solved the problem?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.