Got scammed by shaw academy uk

Erdemerkoc
Contributor
Contributor

So i started getting photoshop course with a free membership for a month by shaw academy.( Started march 1) So after 25 days i thought i should cancel my membership cuz i might forget to do it before they charge me so i went to their website and i wasnt able to cancel it. I tried on their app and it didnt work as well. I found out that i had ti callthem to cancel it and thats what i did, and she told me bunch of new classes new discounts even tho i told her that i wanted to cancel. After 15 mins she told me to mail them to cancel my membership and i didnt quiete get where i was supposed to mail my cancellation. So i messaged them on whatsapp to cancel my membership because when i first started they told me that i could reach them by whatsapp and i have the evidences. So i asked them to cancel my membership at March 26th but noone canceled it i think and they charged me on march 29th. I went on their reviews by other customers, they do have lots of 1 stars and bunch of rages in their comments, everyone had the same problem. They charged me for 69.99 cad

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

Lisi20
Contributor
Contributor
I did have the same situation they took 250 pounds of English course , make me pay 49£ of toolkit and then I got a call offering me a free module which I was agreed next thing I got a bill of membership year 199£ ! I’m trying to reach them by email but I have not answered my email. I stopped payments from PayPal so I’ll have to try to reach them again . They are scam taking money from the education sector.
Login to Me Too

Sorchamcveigh
Contributor
Contributor
Did you ever get this issue sorted as the exact same thing happened to me as well
Login to Me Too

Jhillnandez91
Contributor
Contributor
Have you been able to resolve this? I had the same phone call and charge for a membership I did not agree too. I have contacted PayPal today and they have changed my dispute to ‘no goods or services received’ I hope this will work. I have also found many negative reviews on trustpilot and an article in the Gaurdian relating to this scam. I have made PayPal aware of these. Hope this helps!
Login to Me Too

Karentc149
New Community Member

They are complete shockers.  As the previous person said, you do the free 1 month trial .. then you try to cancel.  The website takes you all the way through then says, no you have to call, after 20 minutes on the phone it says it's cancelled you ... but it hasn't, how can it, at no time does the system ask for your details.  IT IS A COMPLETE CON.  I've now been hit for £49.99 - I have now stopped any future payments in my paypal account, but will it work?!  who knows!  i'm off to rant anywhere I can no to stop anyone else being scammed like this.   

Login to Me Too

PheDJ
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing happened to me !!!

I cancelled and got confirmation of this, 2 weeks before my free trial was ending... They are STILL contacting me about classes and have charged me £49.99. I have tried to contact PayPal and they will not allow me to get a refund or dispute the claim. Disgusting company obviously working as a con, so horrible.

Did you manage to get a refund? @Avi2020 please could you help.

Login to Me Too

angelacrj
Contributor
Contributor

hello, I have the same problem.
Where you able to receive a refund? Do you have any registered number I can call?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PheDJ
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry it is so late but yes I got a refund ! I reported them on https://www.bbb.org/us/de/wilmington/profile/online-education/shaw-academy-0251-92002528 hopefully it will work with you! Also tell your bank and raise a PayPal complaint, they should not be getting away with this!
Login to Me Too

Rada3
Contributor
Contributor
I still have battle with them PayPal can't help, my bank can't help too now reported the case to Customers rights office. Also blocked all payments request from them in my bank and deleted their pre-paid order on PayPal because they still no cancel my account. Been charged 39.95 for toolkit after the course been offered like free.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.