First time seller question

DaveC53
New Community Member

Hi,

I’m new to PayPal and selling on line but have been told this is the safest way. I am about to sell my first item and do not quite understand how it works.

After a request for payment is sent and then funds forwarded but “held” . I then send the goods and It’s then up to the buyer to confirm they have received them before funds are paid into my account? 

How is this safe when buyer can simply say they did not receive them?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DaveC53 

When you see a record of payment in your PayPal account, PayPal hold or not, click on it to see if PayPal says it is ok to ship. If the payment is subject to a PayPal hold, you would still ship the goods out and update the transaction with tracking information in the transaction (or use PayPal shipping which would automatically upload tracking info). Once PayPal can confirm delivery via the tracking info, PayPal will release the funds within 24/48 hours from delivery. If tracking info status does not say "delivered" then the buyer has a case to get their money back. However, due to Covid-19 situation PayPal may allow more time for delivery and extend the case resolution date.

You also have the option to ask the buyer to confirm receipt to release funds, in cases where goods or services do not require physical shipping (ie. digital goods or services such as piano lessons, baby sitting, paint jobs, etc) or if there is a delay in confirming delivery by PayPal although item was delivered.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DaveC53 

When you see a record of payment in your PayPal account, PayPal hold or not, click on it to see if PayPal says it is ok to ship. If the payment is subject to a PayPal hold, you would still ship the goods out and update the transaction with tracking information in the transaction (or use PayPal shipping which would automatically upload tracking info). Once PayPal can confirm delivery via the tracking info, PayPal will release the funds within 24/48 hours from delivery. If tracking info status does not say "delivered" then the buyer has a case to get their money back. However, due to Covid-19 situation PayPal may allow more time for delivery and extend the case resolution date.

You also have the option to ask the buyer to confirm receipt to release funds, in cases where goods or services do not require physical shipping (ie. digital goods or services such as piano lessons, baby sitting, paint jobs, etc) or if there is a delay in confirming delivery by PayPal although item was delivered.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.