ENTERED DEBIT CARD NUMBER INSTEAD OF ACCOUNT NUMBER AT THE BACK OF THE CARD

mrdetz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

Hope I will get a valid response for this problem. Let me say that I did a human-error which I linked a bank account to my paypal so that I can withdraw my funds. Unfortunately, I mistakenly inputted the debit card number (16-digit number in front) instead of the Account Number (card back numbers) and saved it. Paypal accepted it so I thought it's the correct details, but when I tried to withdraw my funds from Paypal to my linked ATM card with wrong account number, it processed and says completed but did not go in my bank account (because account number is wrong).
Questions is, how can I get back my money? Do I need to go to my bank provider or Paypal can do anything about this? Or will my money bounce back to my Paypal because the account details is wrong? 

Any response would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank You!!

Login to Me Too
176 REPLIES 176

Jimmydude
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there everyone. I too am experiencing the same problem. Carelessly, I placed my debit card number instead of the "actual" account number. I made the transfer on the 5th of this month (December) from PayPal to my "bank account" and I'm still waiting for the funds to bounce back hopefully sooner than 14 business days, just as PayPal advised. Last weekend, I called my bank to see what's up. Unfortunately, from their end, there was no such transaction being made like it does not exist at all. They advised me to go and check with PayPal, so which means me coming back to them again for assistance. We all know that can be bothersome especially when it comes to our money. However, I am being optimistic as I also have this little spark of hope in me that our funds will come through soon since PayPal assured me multiple times not to worry and that my money is secured. But if the money doesn't come after 14 business days, then they will begin to track everything down. It's funny because it's the Christmas season and you know how it is... I just wish everyone who is in the same situation all the best and just keep your hopes up. I hope this will pass for all of us and we won't go through this problem anymore. I will keep you posted.

Login to Me Too

Jimmydude
Contributor
Contributor

@katcampos, I do have a question though. After putting my bank account number, it says that it's "checking" when in reality what I have is a "savings" account. Does this matter? If so, how do I sort this out? I'm afraid this might be another factor that will create future failures. By the way, my bank is BDO. 

Login to Me Too

katcampos
Contributor
Contributor
Hi jimmydude, that’s exactly what happened to me as well. My account is also a savings account but in Paypal it appeared as “checking”. I don’t think Paypal ever confirms the accounts with the local banks first which I believe they should. It’s not helpful that they never have set additional parameters to verify if an account is authentic to help the Paypal user at least not make these simple errors of entering the wrong bank account number and go through this long tedious process of waiting and asking around.
Login to Me Too

Jimmydude
Contributor
Contributor

@katcampos, Right, I understand. I think that the application requires some tweaking. Plus, it's no joke since we are talking about money. They should really treat us serious than just simply tell us to wait 14 business days. I mean truth be told, I am already scared of making further transactions. LOL! So far, I never had issues with paying through PayPal. It's getting the money that's tough. I've placed my account number this time and it would be weird if nothing comes through again. 

Login to Me Too

katcampos
Contributor
Contributor

@Jimmydude yep. They definitely need to sort that one out. Considering this company has been in existence for a while, they should know how to sort these problems by now. Especially the access to a better customer service rep. Emails and facebook chats are not really the best option. If you want to call them directly, it's just a US number. I've already got a response from the email that I sent and still they couldn't help process it faster. I don't think I'll be using Paypal anymore once I get back my funds. It's not user friendly nor convenient.

Login to Me Too

katcampos
Contributor
Contributor

To all of us waiting for answers, I found a topic similar to ours and a Moderator has replied which may be helpful while we are all anticipating for the return of all our funds. Here's the link https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Money/Withrawn-money-never-receive/m-p/1971401#M94294

Login to Me Too

Jimmydude
Contributor
Contributor

@katcampos, I hope someone gets back to us here in the community and to give us a real answer. Because come to think of it, there are people that got their money back in just a couple of days. It'd be sad if it's just luck. I mean that's unfair. 

Login to Me Too

katcampos
Contributor
Contributor

According to that other post, the moderator mentioned that "there are some issues with Philippine banks" so I'm guessing it won't be the same time frame that we would get back our money into the Paypal account which is definitely frustrating and not a good way for business. Let's just hope that it'll be sorted soonest. 

Login to Me Too

katcampos
Contributor
Contributor
Hello everyone! Here’s where I am at with chasing Paypal for the funds transferred to an incorrect account: “Dear (x), Thank you for contacting us back today about the withdrawal process. I know you need answers on how long will the funds be put back on the account. Generally, withdrawals to bank accounts take up to 5 business days to get cleared from our issuing bank to the receiving bank in the Philippines. When a trace is made after the 14th business day, we will initiate a request from our back office to check if the issuing bank of PayPal is able to receive the funds back from the bank where the funds should be deposited. Then we will await responses coming from both banks to know the status of the money and once cleared will post it back to the balance. This process may take time and as much as we want to give your funds to you right away, we need to know where it is through the responses from both banks. We cannot give you an exact timeframe because this trace depends on how timely we get the responses coming from the banks involved in the transfer.” So I therefore conclude that they cannot give us an exact time frame of resolution at all. Even if they have had numerous complaints about this, they cannot give any rough estimate of returning our money which is just sad.
Login to Me Too

psyma913
Contributor
Contributor

@katcampos May I ask how many days have you been waiting already? I also made the same mistake with 3 transactions Transaction was made last Dec 5 and Dec 7. They said "No worries your money will be returned but we do not have a specific time frame for this" This is really frustrating 😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.