Do you HAVE to link your debit/ credit card/ bank details to your account.

FireStarRacing
New Community Member

Hi

I was wondering if anybody knows if you HAVE to link your debit/ credit card/ bank details to your paypal account. If I didn't link them, would i still be able to recieve money from ebay transactions and would I be able to use the money in my account to buy other things with it providing I have enough. I am not too bothered about money going into my account as i won't be making much. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

PayPal_david

Hi there FireStarRacing,

When a PayPal account is opened, we are required to place sending, receiving and withdrawal limits on a customers account. In order for these limits to be lifted, different steps are required to be completed. 

These steps would include adding and confirming your card and bank account. You may not be required to do this initially when you open your PayPal account but you will be asked at some point if you get close to any of your limits.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

moheb_rofail
New Community Member

I hope u really are gonna tell us when it happens, because some fellow said there wasn't any thing said! and their money got stuck at PayPal!

Login to Me Too

sea_sea
New Community Member

Hi, Does this mean that as long as I have sufficient funds in my paypal account and my purchase does not exceed the limit, I do not have to link my credit card/bank account to paypal?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi sea_sea,

Welcome to the community forum.

It is possible to use a PayPal account without  a card or bank account but only for a short time. If you are receiving money which you are spending this would also create the need to verify your PayPal using a card or a bank. 

You don't need to pay using that funding source if you don't wish to but you would need to eventually add it to verify your PayPal account. 

I hope this answers your question.

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

KevinBarvin
New Community Member

If I am exclusivley a buyer (never sell), and only forward cash into my PayPal account periodically when needed, would I still be required to link the account with my Credit Card.  (My preference is to have the least number of places on the internet that my card is being held - for my security and fear of PayPal getting hacked).

Login to Me Too

Biwash

My paypal account is linked with a bank account and bank account is verified too . I have enough funds in my paypal account but when I was trying to pay , paypal asked to link card first , is it compulsory to add card before payment ?

Login to Me Too

kennymkg
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a paypal account for many years now. Paypal has my bank account number and now it wants my credit card number. I've just transfered 200 euros to my account from my bank account and now I can't use the money to pay for a course I want to pay because paypal wants my credit card details. This really ..... me off!

Login to Me Too

three_crows
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone willing to answer this question?

kennymkg: I have had a paypal account for many years now. Paypal has my bank account number and now it wants my credit card number. I've just transfered 200 euros to my account from my bank account and now I can't use the money to pay for a course I want to pay because paypal wants my credit card details. This really ..... me off!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi three_crows,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community Forum!

To answer FireStarRacing’s post, you don’t need to be a verified PayPal user in order to start selling on eBay, unless advised otherwise by eBay. You can learn more here: http://ow.ly/VOVxi.  

I’m very sorry to hear you were experiencing challenges with buying the course. Have you managed to complete the payment by now?

Please not that if you have money on your PayPal account but you are asking to use a backup funding source it may be caused by insufficient funds due to currency conversion if the transaction is performed in another currency.

However the system may also ask you to link and confirm a backup funding source if you have non on your account. This happens as a security precaution. I would recommend you to verify your PayPal account to prevent similar issues in the future.

If you will continue experiencing difficulties with sending the payment, I would recommend you contacting us via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope it will get resolved soon.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.