Do I need to link a credit card if my bank account is already linked?

title126
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Do I need to link a credit card linked to my Paypal account if my bank account is already linked to it?  TIA

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@title126 

Its not necessary but some payment options will require you to add a card as back up to complete, such as instant bank transfer or using your PayPal balance to pay.

Bank payments are generally slow but PayPal can make it instant if you have both bank account and credit card linked, then PayPal can front the money ahead to the recipient instantly and wait for your bank payment to clear. If payment does not clear your bank, PayPal will charge your backup credit card.

Without a credit card as backup the bank payment will be a eCheck or the checkout system will ask you to add a card to make an Instant bank transfer, if you only have a bank account linked. Some merchants block eChecks because it is slow and they have to wait for the money to clear before your order processed and shipped.

If you are paying with PayPal balance, you might be asked to add a card as back up too, in case you do not have enough money in the PayPal balance.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@title126 

Its not necessary but some payment options will require you to add a card as back up to complete, such as instant bank transfer or using your PayPal balance to pay.

Bank payments are generally slow but PayPal can make it instant if you have both bank account and credit card linked, then PayPal can front the money ahead to the recipient instantly and wait for your bank payment to clear. If payment does not clear your bank, PayPal will charge your backup credit card.

Without a credit card as backup the bank payment will be a eCheck or the checkout system will ask you to add a card to make an Instant bank transfer, if you only have a bank account linked. Some merchants block eChecks because it is slow and they have to wait for the money to clear before your order processed and shipped.

If you are paying with PayPal balance, you might be asked to add a card as back up too, in case you do not have enough money in the PayPal balance.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

title126
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for such a detailed answer!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.