Debt Collection Call

InfrequentUser2
New Community Member

I just got a call from a collection company trying to collect money I allegedly owe on my PayPal account.  I very rarely use my PayPal account, and when I log in my account shows a $0.00 balance.  Does this sound legit or is it a scam?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@InfrequentUser2

Could be legit, but normally if you have a owed paypal money and they passed it on to a collection agency your account may be limited.

Best to check with customer services.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR press '0' OR just say the word 'Agent' repeatedly.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@InfrequentUser2

Could be legit, but normally if you have a owed paypal money and they passed it on to a collection agency your account may be limited.

Best to check with customer services.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR press '0' OR just say the word 'Agent' repeatedly.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

InfrequentUser2
New Community Member

I called PayPal and they determined that it was not legit.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

BrynHammond
Contributor
Contributor
Anyone no this number? ‭0800 085 7609‬
Login to Me Too

zzz3
Contributor
Contributor

i had a very similar issue and i am trying to figure out how you were able to get paypal to remove it. can you send me an email at (removed) Thank you. @InfrequentUser2

Login to Me Too

zzz3
Contributor
Contributor

@InfrequentUser2 I am an attorney, I’m currently investigating the conduct you described, would you like to schedule a time to have  a phone conversation about your experiences as part of my investigation?

Login to Me Too

Magical123
New Community Member
I received a debt collection call for a PayPal credit card which I never applied for and never have had. Caller claimed I owed $55. When I informed her I do not have an account she said to call the police and she hung up.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.