Currency Withdrawal

LastExile22
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have some USD in my PayPal (Europe) account. I've previouly transferred EUR to a Portuguese account, but now wish to transfer the USD to a UK-based USD account, unfortunately it keeps forcing me to convert to EUR prior to transferring. Is there a way to deactivate this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LastExile22 

No. PayPal will always convert to local currency on the withdraw. It will cause double currency conversion with a foreign currency local bank account so there is no point in trying it. The only way is if you linked a US bank account opened on US soil.

If you want to receive USD and spend it, keep it in PayPal USD currency balance and select USD currency during checkout to use the USD funds from your PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LastExile22 

No. PayPal will always convert to local currency on the withdraw. It will cause double currency conversion with a foreign currency local bank account so there is no point in trying it. The only way is if you linked a US bank account opened on US soil.

If you want to receive USD and spend it, keep it in PayPal USD currency balance and select USD currency during checkout to use the USD funds from your PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

LastExile22
Contributor
Contributor
I actually have a US bank account although I'm not a US citizen. However, I can't find the option to add it since European bank accounts are IBAN and that's the format preset in the add bank account form on the PayPal website. I'm guessing this is intentional and I can't send USD to my US bank account with a European PayPal account?
Login to Me Too

mercadya
New Community Member

Regarding the US bank account, have you tried adding the card instead of the bank account (if you have one, that is)?

Login to Me Too

nlmunro
Contributor
Contributor

Well that is good to know and perhaps there are legal reasons, but it feels like a scam to force us to use their exchange rates.

After all if I can use my GBP to buy something in GBP, why can't I withdraw it to my GBP UK based bank account? (I live in the EU, so my local currency is EUR).

Login to Me Too

artman17
Contributor
Contributor

So it it possible to withdraw  currenci to my bank account ?  I have  USD GBP and other currencies accounts in the bank.
Tried to withdraw USD but pay pal forced to exchange to Euro, but I needed the  USD  to go there.
SO id there a way to do it ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.