Crypto Sale Funds Hold

ariesboy33305
Contributor
Contributor

Why is crypto sale funds being held again for three days? It was my understanding that the hold was more for your first crypto sale, but NOT for every other transaction!  My last sale of ETH was for a larger amount, and that went immediately to my PayPal balance. I made this transaction logged into my personal Paypal account and it verified me using both facial ID and password. I am now losing money on a reinvestment opportunity due to hold and I was planning on doing this transaction on PayPal as well.  It's only $1,500 and not some five or six-figure transaction which would be more understandable.   This is no different than ransomware and feels more like short-term theft by PayPal....hope the mainstream media doesn't get ahold of this.   Is there a way of knowing BEFORE I do a sale if the funds are going to be held from me or not??  And I have read the 'Cryptocurrency on PayPal FAQ' which was not helpful.  And my app seems to think that this was an eBay transaction and I need to update my shipping address to get my money???!  I bought and sold crypto on CashApp and funds were always available instantly because I was verified by the app.  That's the point of verification....so we don't get our funds held from us.  It appears that PayPal is 'floating' our money for short-term investments of their own.  I would much rather pay fee for the transaction in exchange for not having the funds withheld from me and causing me to potentially lose hundreds in a missed re-investment opportunity.  So far, not a good experience on Paypal Crypto compared to other exchanges.   Also, it appears that resolution center is not accepting new tickets....keeps saying there is something wrong on their end.   Yeah, right!   Thank you for you prompt attention to this issue.

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

PeruvianHghlndr
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I've been a PayPal customer for over 20 YEARS! I have had issues here or there, but never experienced the types of horror stories that I have heard from others until today. This is a complete disgrace. I have been on hold for over two hours. I know that other organizations put holds on PayPal payments, but did not realize that PayPal did not trust its own service! Avoid PayPal at all costs for crypto transactions. 72-hour hold for "review," while simultaneously guaranteeing that my funds will be available in 72 hours makes no sense - what is the review for, if you can guarantee that I will have my funds?!
I will never again trust PayPal with crypto services.

Login to Me Too

stroker15
Contributor
Contributor

I have to say that after my first 72 hour hold, I was able to make another sale and that money was available immediately.  So I don't know if the hold  is just random, for the very first sale, or it depends on which coins you sell.  

Login to Me Too

Iggyp06
Contributor
Contributor
How frustrating is this...$600 on hold when was tring to transfer from Bch to Eth. Has anyone had this happen continuously? Or by some miracle could it only be the 1st transaction?
Login to Me Too

PeruvianHghlndr
Contributor
Contributor
I only sold twice, both were between $1000-$2000, both got held for 72 hours. I've been a PayPal customer for over 20 years. The fact that they don't trust their own service is beyond words to me. I will never use PayPal for crypto, again.
Login to Me Too

Ahmedax
Contributor
Contributor
I was finally able to send them in email and I stated that holding ones investing funds gives the appearance that PayPal has alterior motives and I got a replied saying the understand my point but it’s their policy to hold funds. After my sale of Bitcoin I noticed that under my transaction it stated “selling” for several days. Does that mean they sold for me but was really holding it to sell at a higher price and keep the difference for themselve?
Login to Me Too

recon11
Contributor
Contributor
I will look into my hold to see if that happens to me as well. Thanks for the info.
Login to Me Too

Tigg999
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. I had money invested into the 4 different currencies and everything was going down so I decided to invest some more out of my checking account. My luck everything started dropping quickly and I sold everything. Of course everything started going back up and my money is being held so I can't reinvest. I wonder if because I just used my checking account that the system is holding it because they want the funds from my bank first? Except the hold is until a Sunday which doesn't make any sense at all. I could see them holding the money if I was trying to put it into my bank account. Besides what I took from my checking was much less than the total amount being held. When speaking with customer service their system didn't give a reason for the hold.

All though overall I have made money I'm considering not doing business with PayPal anymore.

Login to Me Too

recon11
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately no definite answer for the holds except their random excuses,but just like I suspected Ive lost 30 percent profits on the BTC and ETH because of this issue. Be aware of this issue that seemingly everyone is experiencing.
Login to Me Too

Cryptoquestions
New Community Member

I also have this problem. Totally pointless to use PayPal for crypto; my whole point in withdrawing was to reinvest in a few hours later. I have no idea how long my funds are going to be on hold for now.

Login to Me Too

recon11
Contributor
Contributor
My first hold was 7 days and 2nd im still waiting on the time frame says 21 days so another week for me on the 2nd transaction. Hope that helps.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.