Counterfeits

Nan8
New Community Member
I tried to cancel an order, because I learned the shoes being sold were. Counterfeit. PayPal let the charge go through anyway. Will I be able to get refunded when/if I get them?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nan8 

Yes, that would be the process if merchant refuses or can't to cancel your order.

To open a dispute upon receipt of goods:

1. Locate and click payment transaction in your PayPal account activity
  2. Click "Report a problem”.  
  3. Click “I received an item that's significantly not as described”.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Mavrix79
Contributor
Contributor

I am going through the same process. Now the seller has agreed to a full refund on the condition that I return the item. However, Federal law states,

"In the U.S., federal law protecting trademarks makes it illegal to knowingly traffic counterfeit goods, which includes the production, sale and transport of such goods. The U.S. Department of Justice, however, has stated that federal law doesn’t prohibit an individual from buying a counterfeit product for personal use, even if they do so knowingly.

The maximum penalty for first-time offenders trafficking in counterfeit goods is 10 years in prison and a $2 million fine. For second-time offenders, the penalty is 20 years and a $5 million fine. In addition, if a corporation traffics in counterfeit goods, it can be subject to a fine of $15 million."

https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/buying-counterfeit-goods-laws-and-resources.html#...

So essentially I have to risk 10 years in prison for $200. Just not worth it. I am about to try to speak with PP again this morning to inquire about this. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.