Closing account & opening new account

jenrae72
Contributor
Contributor

When I first made my PayPal account it was listed under my husbands name. I don’t remember the reason I could t list it under mine. I think it had something to do with our bank account. Anyway. Back then I only used it to buy stuff so it was no big deal. I’ve been selling on eBay and Mercari for a 4+ years and use PayPal. I’ve tried changing the name but PayPal doesn’t allow you to change the first name to different name. I haven’t had any issues with it till now limitations, holding my balance, unable to transfer to my prepaid account. PayPal has been holding my balance and it took me forever to finally get a check in the mail for my balance. I don’t want any more issues so I thought I could open a new account and close the current one? What do I do to link my PayPal prepaid account to the new acct. if I close current account does that effect my PayPal prepaid account? I have direct deposit and don’t want to mess up getting my paycheck direct deposited. I just want the simplest way to fix this issue. It would be so much easier if they could just let me change the first name of my current account. Do they make exceptions?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @jenrae72,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you're encountering with a limitation.

It is not possible to change ownership of a PayPal account. An account created under your husband's name would be your husband's account. To remove a limitation, the account owner listed on the account would have to provide any requested information. The account may only be closed and the financial information reused once the limitation is resolved.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.