Charged fees for requesting from friend/family

KeegsBruH413
Contributor
Contributor

I requested money from a friend to help me pay for an item but PayPal charged me so I didn't receive full amount and if I refund it to them it will cost me $0.30 because PayPal doesnt refund fixed fee apparently. Is there any way I can get the fees that were wrongly charged back since it says it doesn't charge fees to get money from friends or family

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KeegsBruH413

A 'money request' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

An 'invoice' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

'Send money > goods/services' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'business account paypal.me' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.

A 'paypal.me personal account' is a friends/family payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KeegsBruH413

A 'money request' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

An 'invoice' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

'Send money > goods/services' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'business account paypal.me' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.

A 'paypal.me personal account' is a friends/family payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

KeegsBruH413
Contributor
Contributor
Will PayPal refund it if I contact and tell them it was friend to friend?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KeegsBruH413

You would still lose the fixed fee Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kten
New Community Member

The same exact thing happened to me today. My in laws sent $2,600 to me as "friends and family", I took a $75 fee...  I spoke with customer service over chat and they said I would have to refund the money and then have my family resubmit and to make sure they selected "friends and family" on their end before submitting (which I know they did). There is no way they could credit back the fee. It's for my son's surgery so I am pinching pennies.... which is scheduled to happen in 40 mins.  I am sitting at children's hospital sweating bullets because PayPal now won't let their transaction go through, they keep getting error messages. I'm assuming the error message has something to do with the refund and original payment being so fresh. idk but this is not okay.  It was good to see that I'm not alone. 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

for that kind of money and you need it for your son surgery,

just wire the money into your bank account,domestic wire transfer fee is like $25 and the $25 is fixed fee irregardless of the amount.

Login to Me Too

ivh
Contributor
Contributor

I have been charged fees totaling almost $60.00. As paypals website clearly states "No cost when requesting money from friends and family online with PayPal, making it easier than ever to get paid back." I assumed that something was wrong with my personal settings. I called costumer services, and was told I had to be sent money from a friend. I found this confusing because all pay pals advertising clearly states there are no fees to REQUEST from a friend. I quickly learned that this feature literally doesn't exist, and when asking how I could let a friend know how much they owed me I was told I could contact them through other means and ask them to send money. So basically the "No cost when requesting money from friends and family online with PayPal, making it easier than ever to get paid back." isn't a feature on the app or online at all. When I asked how I could get my money back for these wrongfully charged fees I was constantly interrupted and told that I wouldn't be able. to get the money back. Customer service kept trying to give me "examples" rather than find a way for me to get my money back. I was told I could manually return all the transactions and then as that friend to send me that money, but later learned that PayPal takes $.30 to return transactions. Essentially I lost over $60.00 due to false advertising, then had to endure the worst customer service of my life, first person I talked to hung up on me and the second interrupted me every time I tried to speak. This has pushed me to the edge and I will be deleting my account ASAP!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ivh 

Best to read all the information than a small piece of it.

Its ONLY free to use the family / friends option if you fund it from your bank account OR funds already in your paypal balance.

If you fund it from a CARD (debit or credit) then you pay a fee. (in the U.S anyway, other countries vary).

Secondly you can request a family / friends payment by sending your mate or family member a personal account paypal.me link OR give them your Paypal email address and tell them to go to send money > put in your email address > select the friends / family option.

I have sent f/f payments to relatives etc for years and never pay a fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ivh
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass First of all please do not assume this is something I haven't done my homework on. I am funded from my bank directly, and I have all my setting and for personal payments only. What Im looking for is a way to REQUEST money from a friend or family WITHOUT bing charged a fee. From what you just said that is literally not possible, the only option is to literally EMAIL your friend for money. I got this account so that I could have "No cost when requesting money from friends and family online with PayPal" and their is no option available for that, only sending options. I don't want to have to jump through an extra hoop of messaging my friend for money, I want to be able to request the exact amount FROM A FRIEND through paypal REQUESTS. You told my I can send to friend which I am already more than aware. There is no solution to this other than canceling my account and mourning the wrongfully charged fees I was rudely told I would not be refunded. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ivh 

Well you obviously didn't do your homework very well as you can REQUEST funds WITHOUT paying a fee if you use a paypal.me link (personal account). HOWEVER the sender would still pay a fee if they funded their paypal.me payment using a card...........however you did not ask that question in your original post.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.