Cannot add bank account or debit card

JohnVanO
New Community Member

Hi all,

I recently created my PayPal account and tried to add my debit card and a bank account. Neither worked.

First of all, there is no option to add a debit card on PayPal (just Visa, Mastercard, etc.) even though it mentions it in the help articles.

Second, for the bank account I was able to input all of the correct information, but when I try to 'Agree and Link' it just pops up an error saying "Please check your information and try again." What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Thank you,

John

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnVanO 

In your country you can only add a credit and not debit card.

You may be not looking at the correct help pages for your country?

You can't add a local bank account in your country.
The only exception is Paypal allow a U.S bank account to be linked to most countries paypal accounts. This is because Paypal is a U.S company.

Read this policy as you are in one of the affected countries.

https://www.paypal.com/al/webapps/mpp/ua/recpymt-full?locale.x=en_AL

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

John_vanO
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Kernowlass,

(This is still me, I had to recreate my account for whatever reason). Just wanted to clarify that my country is Canada. NOT "St. Kitts & Nevis". I could not figure out how to change my country, and I don't know if its right now. Any different answers for a resident of Canada?

Thanks,

John

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@John_vanO 

Thats probably why you are having problems as you can't use another countries paypal account.

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You can however add a U.S bank account (not card) to 'most' other countries paypal accounts. This is because paypal is a U.S company and so allows this.
When you opened this account you are using now you did not add your country to your community profile so i can't see what countries paypal account you have at the moment.

BUT if you have opened your correct countries paypal account then you shouldn't have any problems linking your bank account or cards.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.