Canadian US dollar account

chicken8
New Community Member

Hi can I have US dollars transferred from another country into a US account at a Canadian Bank? thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chicken8 

No, because PayPal always converts foreign currency from your foreign currency PayPal balance to your PayPal account's home currency when you transfer to your bank. Not even if it is a USD account in a Canada bank. The money would be converted to CAD and then when it reaches your USD CA account, it will be converted back to USD. You would be wasting/losing money to conversion fee. The only exception is if you link a US bank account opened on US soil. 

If you plan on withdrawing your PayPal funds, always get paid in CAD and withdraw to CA bank. Otherwise, you'd have to keep the foreign funds in your PayPal and use it to pay for overseas purchases in the currency that you hold in your PayPal balance and get your value that way. But to receive foreign currency that is higher in value then your home currency and cash it out, no. The powers that be blocked that loophole.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.