Can you transfer money from a credit card to your Paypal balance?

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I have 3 pre-paid visa and american express cards on my account and i cannon use all three of them on the sme purchase. Is there a way to take the balance of the pre-paid card, and add it to your account balance? If so, how? I have not entered my Social Sec. yet. Will I have too?

Thanks all!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately you cannot do what you have in mind as you cannot transfer the funds from your prepaid cards to your PayPal Account Balance.  The exception would be GreenDot Moneypaks and some PayPal products.

Here's a few tips on how the funding sources are used.

PayPal will first look at your PayPal Account balance, if you have insufficient funds, PayPal will then take the funds from your Bank Account.  PayPal will do an instant transfer from your bank account assuming you have a current linked and confirmed credit card.  If the card is not current or no card, then the transfer from your bank account to pay for the purchase can take a few days, possibly up to 4.

If you have a credit card and no bank account, then the credit card will be used. This all happens assuming you don't elect to choose a funding source. Note, If you have both a bank account and credit card, you can choose to pay with your credit card on the PayPal Checkout screens by using the pay with another source option. There you can select your card from the dropdown.

It is possible to pay using the funds in your Account balance and the remainder with a credit card however, you must first elect to pay with your credit card. Your available balance will be used up and the remainder is charged to your card. As this now looks like you've sent a single payment, you remain eligible for Buyer Protection. You would not be eligible for Buyer Protection, if you paid for the item with two separate transactions.

What you cannot do is split a single payment between 2 bank accounts, 2 credit/debit card accounts or a bank account and a credit/debit card account. In addition, you cannot split a single payment between 2 PayPal accounts.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately you cannot do what you have in mind as you cannot transfer the funds from your prepaid cards to your PayPal Account Balance.  The exception would be GreenDot Moneypaks and some PayPal products.

Here's a few tips on how the funding sources are used.

PayPal will first look at your PayPal Account balance, if you have insufficient funds, PayPal will then take the funds from your Bank Account.  PayPal will do an instant transfer from your bank account assuming you have a current linked and confirmed credit card.  If the card is not current or no card, then the transfer from your bank account to pay for the purchase can take a few days, possibly up to 4.

If you have a credit card and no bank account, then the credit card will be used. This all happens assuming you don't elect to choose a funding source. Note, If you have both a bank account and credit card, you can choose to pay with your credit card on the PayPal Checkout screens by using the pay with another source option. There you can select your card from the dropdown.

It is possible to pay using the funds in your Account balance and the remainder with a credit card however, you must first elect to pay with your credit card. Your available balance will be used up and the remainder is charged to your card. As this now looks like you've sent a single payment, you remain eligible for Buyer Protection. You would not be eligible for Buyer Protection, if you paid for the item with two separate transactions.

What you cannot do is split a single payment between 2 bank accounts, 2 credit/debit card accounts or a bank account and a credit/debit card account. In addition, you cannot split a single payment between 2 PayPal accounts.

Login to Me Too

miro123
New Community Member

how to transfer a money from mastercard to paypal acc

Login to Me Too

TotoyChicken
Contributor
Contributor

hey @snowshoe  is there a way to top up using my bank account? I live in the Philippines and I already linked my bank account to my PayPal but the type is still checking and the status is confirmed. I tried to do the add money options but it wasn't there. any suggestions or solution to my problem?

Login to Me Too

Right on!
Login to Me Too

Ithuriel46xy
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is few years old topic, but i have same issue.
I had received money on my paypal and transfer it to my prepaid card (VISA). Fast forward, i need to refund a person. And it seems i cant do that because i dont have US bank account? 
Basically, i can neither refund, neither add money from my Visa to my paypal balance and than refund?
We are both from Europe, buyer and I. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

is your paypal account a US account?

US account can pnly transfer to a bank 

Login to Me Too

Ithuriel46xy
Contributor
Contributor

It is not, we are both from Europe... But there must be a way. I need to refund him and i cant.. 

Login to Me Too

dryelle
New Community Member

For people who come across this in the future, I highly recommend using your tiny prepaid balances to buy Amazon gift cards. Even if you have only a dollar on the prepaid card, Amazon will put that on your account as a credit and you can use it in the future. (I wish we could do what the OP wants, but I like this alternative!)

Login to Me Too

TheRealDax
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem too..

Only way I think you can transfer money from your credit card to paypal and then into your own bank account would be to go through two paypal accounts.

1. Request money from Paypal account B using Paypal account A

2. Use credit card to fund that request
3. Transfer the paid money into your bank account which is linked to Paypal account A

Hi anoori9000 😛

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.