Can I use one bank account with two different PayPal accounts?

vaggrippino
New Community Member

I'm American, but I live in Malaysia. Sometimes I earn money in the US. Sometimes I earn money in Malaysia. Sometimes I earn money online (Upwork). I've had an American PayPal account for many years and it's associated with my American bank account. I occasionally have difficulty accessing my American PayPal account from here, but I've been able to work around the difficulties with the help of VPN services and some family members who are still in the US.

It's been recommended to me before that I create a Malaysian PayPal account. I never wanted to, but I finally gave in. I even got a Malaysian bank account.

If I use this Malaysian PayPal account, I still want to withdraw funds to my American bank account... sometimes. I'd like to be able to choose. I also don't want to abandon my American PayPal account. So, I'd like the same bank account to be active and associated to two different PayPal accounts. When I'm in the US, I'll use the American PayPal account and when I'm in Malaysia I'll use the Malaysian PayPal account.

I think the ideal scenario for me would be to keep the American PayPal account and associate both American and Malaysian bank accounts with it. Then, get rid of the Malaysian bank account. I'd need PayPal to stop flagging me for trying to log into my American account from a Malaysian IP address and I'd need to add a Malaysian mobile phone number to the American PayPal account for authentication purposes. I'm pretty sure this isn't possible.

Can this be done? Is this the right way to do it, or can someone recommend a better way?

I don't know if any of this matters, but ...

• Now that I think about it, I might like to have the Malaysian bank account associated with my American PayPal account, too. That way I could always choose which account to withdraw funds into.
  • My American PayPal account is a Personal account, but my Malaysian PayPal account is a Business account. I don't actually operate a business, but there was something in the account creation process that suggested I might not be able to receive funds unless I had a business account.
  • A web search shows that someone asked this question before; "Can one bank account be used on two different PayPal accounts?", but the page with the answer has been removed. The answer in Google's cached result suggests that this can be done, but it has to be "approved". I don't trust this answer... There must be some reason that PayPal removed it.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.