Buyer stopped payment after receiving item

tylerjames123
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an iPhone 12 with Buy It Now, and the buyer paid immediately; the funds were deposited in my account and I shipped the phone as I stated same day shipping in my listing. Then during the night, (per PayPal) the buyer canceled the payment at their bank and it showed up as "payment refunded" in my PayPal transactions the days after.

I had tracking, took photos, shipped to verified address on their PayPal account, etc. 

Now PayPal is saying that they may not be liable because the buyer stopped payment and that is out of their control. Isn't there ANY type of protection against this? 

I get endless loops of links, phone numbers, etc. with no help. Am I out over a grand? I would think there is more protection for sellers than a buyer simply canceling a payment. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tylerjames123 

Was it an echeck at all?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tylerjames123
Contributor
Contributor
I’m not sure it was an echeck or something else. I just got the notification from PayPal saying “instant payment received” which I thought was then the all clear to ship. I’m not sure exactly how they have their payments set up on their end of PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.