[Bug]Payment hold is made although card is not added due to an address error.

csabi14
Contributor
Contributor

I tagged this as a bug(defect) as it seems the $1 charge is made even if the linking operation of a card is not successful.

In my case, I have submitted all required card info and left the default billing address as the one saved in my profile. However, I received an error that the billing address is invalid(not even sure what could be invalid about it, as it is the same as always) and the card details are not saved. Furthermore, I noticed that the security charge of $1 was made nevertheless. This is really silly as this should be the last operation in the flow and should only occur when all other validations are successful.

Please feel free to forward this issue to the dev team.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@csabi14 

If the code sent is not used then the code times out at 30 days and the $1 credited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

csabi14
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thanks for your reply.

There is no code being mentioned in my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I am saying that I cannot link a new card as I am receiving an invalid billing address message and so the linking operation cannot be finished. So, on the linking pop-up I am asked for the CC number, card type, expiration date, CVV and the last field is the billing address which is autocompleted with the one from my profile. When pressing the "Link Card" button, I receive the error that the address is invalid. However, the charge is still being made, although I do not have the card defined.

If you require any further info on this issue, please let me know.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@csabi14 

As i said the charge is made but if the card is not confirmed then its refunded after 30 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

csabi14
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thank you, but unfortunately your response does not help in any way resolving the issue. The problem remains in not being able to add a valid card and each time I try, another $1 is charged. Also, a hold of 30 days due to faulty software doesn't seem quite right. Although I understand that the amount is a small one, it's also a matter of principle as I don't think that you would appreciate if someone was holding your money due to their own fault.

Anyway, sorry if I confused you, will try to edit the title to reflect that the real issue is that I cannot add a valid card.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, csabi14. I see from your messages there's a concern with linking a card to your PayPal account and you're being charged $1 each time even though the card doesn't get linked to the account. Kudos to @kernowlass for letting you know the confirmation charge is automatically refunded if the process isn't completed, but I don't think that's what's happening.

The $1 charge you're seeing is most likely a temporary authorization charge that's used by merchants and vendors and, of course, PayPal, to see if the card is active and available for transactions. The charge PayPal sends through when the confirmation process is initiated is usually $1.95 USD (or a similar amount in other currencies). Authorization charges in the amount of $1 are temporary and usually fall off of a card statement within a few days.

You're absolutely right that the confirmation process should be separate from the linking process. And it is! Only after a card is linked successfully will a PayPal customer be given the option to confirm a card. It may not be necessary for a card to be confirmed right away, so it's a separate process that can be initiated later, if needed.

I hope this information is helpful. Sorry for any frustration with not being able to link your card, and for any misunderstanding or confusion regarding the confirmation process.

If you still need help linking a card, please contact Customer Service via phone or email (by clicking Contact when you're logged on to your PayPal account) or via Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/paypal) or via Twitter (send a DM to @AskPayPal). Thanks for being a part of the PayPal Community.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.