Bank Linked To Closed Account, Paypal Has Not Helped

Johnspens
New Community Member

Years ago I had a PayPal account with my bank linked to it. Several years ago, I do not know the exact date, I closed that account without unlinking my bank. I had assumed that Paypal would be at least somewhat competent and remove that information when an account is closed. Moving forward several years, I now have a different PayPal account with a different email, and still the same bank account. Paypal seems even more ridiculously insistent than before that I link my bank to my account, which I don't want to do in the first place. But without linking my bank I could not accept payments from people on my account, so I relented and attempted to link it. I was given the error message stating something went wrong and to try again blah blah blah. I have tried at least five times, but with my bank still linked to my YEARS LONG CLOSED PayPal account I can't link to my current account. Very annoying, and very very poor handling of my personal information by Paypal. Nonetheless, I pursued a solution.

I decided to email customer support, and was of course directed to the same FAQs and other such pages of information I had already read, so I emailed again trying to communicate that my problem did not have a solution in their help pages. So I was told to call customer support. A bit annoyed I called customer support, foolishly thinking I may find an answer to my dilemma. After wading through their automated phone system for around twenty minutes or so I was told that I would receive a call when a representative was available. And thus began some of the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. Alarm bells were already ringing when the woman who spoke to me could only seem to do so in broken English, and was very hard to understand. I attempted to explain my situation to her, and it only seemed to confuse her, she did not seem knowledgeable about Paypal at all, often repeating information or simply not answering me. After FINALLY getting her to understand what was going on with my situation she only gave me two options, both of which are just a real slap in the face for me. According to her the only way to verify my account like I had been trying to do was to either A. Open a line of Paypal Credit or get their credit card, or B. Open an entirely new bank account to link to my current Paypal account. Both of these "solutions" just feel like a punishment that I must suffer due to Paypal's incompetence.

All I had wanted to do was unlink my bank from my old CLOSED account so that I could then re-link it to my current paypal, ALL SO I COULD VERIFY MY ACCOUNT AND ACTUALLY USE IT. I do not like feeling as though I am forced to provide my personal financial details like that just to use my account, especially when I had already linked my debit and credit card, as well as my SSN. I cannot in good conscience recommend this to anyone after this utterly ridiculous problem (and I know I am not the only one who has suffered this).

If anyone has some kind of magical solution to this issue, please let me know ASAP. Otherwise, I think I am simply done with Paypal, permanently. Their awful practices, untrustworthiness, and downright awful customer service isn't worth it.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Johnspens

It tells you when you go to close an account to remove all financial info attached to it first.

If you don't then you can't use it on future paypal accounts.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Johnspens
New Community Member

This was an account from somewhere around 2013 or 2014, so I cannot remember whether it had that warning at the time or not. Regardless, it seems very careless of Paypal to not have a solution to situations like this and makes it very difficult not only for myself but for many other customers with similar issues to trust in Paypal. All I had wanted to do was verify my account so that I could use it properly, and the sole thing keeping me from doing that is how they handle and manage bank information.

Login to Me Too

DoubtfulYT
Contributor
Contributor

Thats so stupid now I have to somehow go to the bank and close and reopen a bank account. Paypal is so stupid sometimes. I hate it.

Login to Me Too

mncha
Contributor
Contributor
what was your final solution? were you able to get your money. I am too suffering making them understand account not exits and till today my money is neither in paypal nor in any remaining account of the same bank. It was A year money that was working of all day and night.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.