Auto Credit Card updates?

Laurie14
New Community Member

I just realized that PayPal and other vendors can automatically update expired and changed credit card numbers (Visa, AmEx, MasterCard and Discover)

without my consent. I did not agree to this and I have tried in vain to find how I can cancel it.  I want to control who gets this information.Does anyone know of anyway I can stop this from happening?  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

temp20190812a
New Community Member

I receved a email just minutes ago from Paypal stating they have just updated my expired card with new card details.

Like how the hell did they get that information I didnt give it to them ?

Any body else had this happen and what steps did you take to report this breach ?

I am in Australia.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @temp20190812a, @Laurie14,

Thanks for reaching out! I can definitely understand how this can be a bit concerning. Currently, Visa, Mastercard, and some country-specific cards support this feature. To provide seamless customer experience, PayPal will update linked cards with new information as they approach their expiry dates or becomes stale. PayPal uses various resources including multiple global card issuers and payment networks to update card information when your linked card expires or you cancel your card. This feature ensures that you never need to worry about having to update your card details.

Your card issuer provides the data required to update your card information: your card number and expiry date. We do not use or store your card CVV. All data we exchange is encrypted and does not contain any personally identifiable information. Your card issuer can notify us of any changes to your card (except for name changes), including if the card account has been closed.

If you no longer wish for PayPal to update your card, you may delete your expired or lost card from your PayPal account. For additional information related to updating cards and linking or unlinking payment methods, please refer to the User Agreement for your country.

I hope this helps set your mind at ease and fully answers your concerns. Have a great day!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.