Anybody please !! (Cant transfer $ to paypal balance)

MissOliviaDawn
Contributor
Contributor
I have been unable to find a solution to my issue - I call customer service who tells me she "honestly doesnt know why it would be doing this. Very strange" then tells me to email customer support. I emailed and was told I should call customer service line because they don't have an answer for me. I am hoping maybe someone out there can help. So I have been unable to deposit any money to my PayPal balance from my bank account. This has been happening for over a week now. When I try to make an online purchase it won't let me use my PayPal balance or bank account balance and tells me to enter credit card information. Only problem is, I don't own a credit card. Why would PayPal not be able to accept transfer from my bank account ? It's linked, not in over draft and I've been told by both my bank and PayPal that everything looks in good standing. I would appreciate any help if you might have any idea what's going on here. Thanks!
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissOliviaDawn 

When you pay with PayPal balance or bank account, the system will ask for a card as back up.

a) because depending on the retailer, they request a card to set up a billing agreement to streamline checkout experience on future purchases.

b) so PayPal can do an instant transfer on a bank account payment backed up with a card. PayPal fronts ahead the money to merchant immediately and await your bank payment to clear and will tap your card if bank is insufficient.

Otherwise, you won't be able to complete payment. I am not sure if this occurs with all merchants that accept PayPal or just some, depending on how they have PayPal checkout integrated.

Not sure why you can't add money to your PayPal balance though. PayPal encourages people to select a linked payment method during checkout instead of adding money.

Are you getting error messages? Is it telling you that they can't process the transaction now and asking you to try again later?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MissOliviaDawn
Contributor
Contributor
@sharpiemarker yes there's an error message that says something went wrong please try again later. For a week now. I have 4 cards linked to my PayPal right now so even if I had that many Accounts linked, they still need credit card? I have tried to pay just using my PayPal balance but it's not letting me do that either
Login to Me Too

Dan2000
New Community Member
I want the money to be returned to my personal account
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dan2000 wrote:
I want the money to be returned to my personal account

Start your own thread, please.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissOliviaDawn 

Read the checkout screens carefully, you may be able to select a card, instead of adding one. There should be a "Change" link or something on that step.

Those error messages may have something to do with PayPal's internal security system being triggered due to failed repeated attempts to add money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.