Am I being too cautious?

BmacG
Contributor
Contributor

HI, 
Just wanted people's opinion on this. I bought goods from a guy and used paypal goods and services to pay. The goods were delivered this morning, but I have been contacted by the seller to say that he can't access the funds from paypal for 21 days, he needs the money urgently, so if he refunds me the sum paid can I instead lodge this directly to his account. 
I got an email from paypal saying the funds have been refunded, and my wife has checked the goods and they seems ok, so I can't see a problem. It's just that something is niggling in the back of my mind. 
Am I being over-cautious? Has anyone come across this as a potential scam?
Thanks for any assistance. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BmacG 

All you had to do was confirm on the transaction from your end to release the funds if the order status was updated.  If tracking number was added, PayPal would have confirmed the delivery and release the funds in a day or two whenever their system checks it. The seller really should have contacted PayPal to release funds.

Hmm, I can't see how it is a scam at this point; you received your goods to satisfaction and were refunded (make sure refund transaction is marked completed in your PayPal account, don't just believe emails as they can be faked) so pay the seller again but it would be unfair to PayPal as they won't get their fee for collecting funds for the seller if sent as a personal payment. You can send it as goods and services but don't add shipping address so all the seller has to do is click add shipping and update order status and then you confirm to release the funds. Either way, up to you.

Smh, all these contortions so funds can be released. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BmacG 

All you had to do was confirm on the transaction from your end to release the funds if the order status was updated.  If tracking number was added, PayPal would have confirmed the delivery and release the funds in a day or two whenever their system checks it. The seller really should have contacted PayPal to release funds.

Hmm, I can't see how it is a scam at this point; you received your goods to satisfaction and were refunded (make sure refund transaction is marked completed in your PayPal account, don't just believe emails as they can be faked) so pay the seller again but it would be unfair to PayPal as they won't get their fee for collecting funds for the seller if sent as a personal payment. You can send it as goods and services but don't add shipping address so all the seller has to do is click add shipping and update order status and then you confirm to release the funds. Either way, up to you.

Smh, all these contortions so funds can be released. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aelaan12
Contributor
Contributor

You are not being too cautious it is just the seller putting pressure on the wrong person.

Yes it takes up to 21 days to release the funds.  If you received the goods and released the funds in PayPal these funds would be released to the seller immediately.  I had the same thing happen, the buyer confirmed and PayPal released the money within 15 minutes.  So, it is most likely a small hiccup where both are not used to these kind of transfers.  If you confirm the receipt of goods the money could be released instantaneously.  You are not, I repeat, you are not responsible for the seller not receiving the money.  Do not engage in going outside of the system as you lose your protection immediately and yes the seller could scam you, most likely not in the case but this is why I state you are not being too cautious.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.