After paying off negative balance, twice the amount came out of bank

JacobC1926
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all!

I am writing here because PayPal support hung up on me 3 TIMES, before I could give them any information.

I will start at the very beginning.

I needed a laptop for University, and I decided to get one off of E-Bay.

I bought the laptop for $375, which I definitely had enough for in my bank account.

I noticed in my bank account transactions that I had the $375 taken out of my account, and then put back in the same day, under "Reversal of Payment".

I checked my PayPal summary, where to my horror, I had $-375.

I thought to myself: "OK, I have the fund, I'll just transfer them over", and so I did.

So at this point, I have $-375 in Paypal, and $375 pending.

Now, yesterday I checked my bank account, and noticed that now it was $-375, and after checking the transaction history, I can see that I have another "Payment to Paypal" transaction in there, for, you guessed it: $375.

Also, I was fined by the bank for having a negative balance. NICE ONE PAYPAL.

I don't know if they automatically take the money out of the account when you go negative, but the system should at least check if there is an incoming pending payment for the same amount as the negative.

How will I get this fixed? Should I go to the bank, or keep trying to call PayPal support. I have to pay for bills, fuel, insurance, vehicle registration, etc. I don't have time for a flawed payment system!

PS. The last $375 transaction from PayPal doesn't show up in the PayPal "ACTIVITY" tab at all.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JacobC1926

Sounds as if the bank declined the first paypal payment when you paid for whatever reason.

So if that happens paypal will try again a couple of days later, BUT if in the meantime you have then transfered the funds yourself to clear the neg balance then that means x2 payments heading to your paypal balance.

Whichever gets there first will clear the neg balance and the second will be 'credited' to that balance and you can withdraw it back to your bank account again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JacobC1926

Sounds as if the bank declined the first paypal payment when you paid for whatever reason.

So if that happens paypal will try again a couple of days later, BUT if in the meantime you have then transfered the funds yourself to clear the neg balance then that means x2 payments heading to your paypal balance.

Whichever gets there first will clear the neg balance and the second will be 'credited' to that balance and you can withdraw it back to your bank account again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.