Accidental payment

AnthonyM3
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem. I accidentally sent money to the wrong person because I forgot a letter in the name. In the transaction details it says " The recipient of this payment has not verified their account and is located outside the US. " 

I tried to contact the receiver but the person has still not answered. Because the money wont reach the receiver anyway, is there a possibility that I will get my money back? (I sent the money without protection)

Please help me. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnthonyM3 

Look at the transaction status, does it say Money Sent - Unclaimed or something similar? If there is no cancel button, then the funds will be returned automatically after 30 days. If payment status is Money Sent - Completed, then you may have to open a dispute if you don't receive a response or refund.

If the payment status is Completed, you need to ask the recipient to send you a refund. You’ll find the recipient’s contact information on the Transaction Details page.

From your PayPal app, here’s how to find the recipient's information:

1. Tap See Activity.
  2. Tap the payment in question, and scroll down.
  3. Tap Contact [recipient] to contact them and ask for a refund.

If after contacting the recipient, you don’t receive a refund, please reach out to us via email:

1. Tap the Settings icon at the top right.
  2. Tap Inbox.
  3. Tap the blue pencil icon to send us a message (select Disputes and account limitations).

From your computer, here's how:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
  2. Click the payment in question.
  3. Locate your recipient’s contact information, then contact them and ask for a refund.

If you don’t receive a refund, you can open a dispute with PayPal within the timeframe noted in the transaction details. Here’s how to file a dispute:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute, and then click Continue.
  4. Read the information on the screen and click Begin.
  5. Follow the instructions to finish opening your dispute.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.