Why does paypal take so long to accept money sometimes?

Alpha177
Contributor
Contributor

I owed money to paypal. I paid that money to paypal.  I sent it on the 10th. The bank cleared it, in full, on the 12th.  It has been 'pending' in my paypal account since the 10th.  Now, I don't need to use any money right now, and that IS money owed to paypal. but why such a long time to accept it?  It's yours now, just take it.   Do you want flowers, Paypal?

Oh and when I say the bank cleared it in full, I mean I called them and they said '"The funds have completed transfer and are in the possession of the recipient."

I'm sure it'll roll over eventually but that just seems so strange to see for such a long time.   It's like if a bank teller just stared at a wad of cash and let it sit in the open for 5 days.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alpha177 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay.

But if you are adding funds to your paypal account then its you that takes the wait.

The funds may have left your bank account but that does not mean they have reached paypal as paypal use echeques which is the slowest cheapest transfer option as it goes via ACH in batches. 

Takes 5-7 working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option BUT funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.