What does PayPal do when there is not enough money in my Bank X account to pay for a purchase ?

Dnoe2113
Contributor
Contributor

Bank X is my preferred payment method. What does PayPal do when there is not enough money in my Bank X account to pay for a purchase ? Does Paypal try to get the money for the purchase from a backup payment method ?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dnoe2113 

Normally yes but as they tend to credit the seller upfront then they may put your account into negative until you clear the debt or a back up funding source funds the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dnoe2113 

Normally yes but as they tend to credit the seller upfront then they may put your account into negative until you clear the debt or a back up funding source funds the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dnoe2113
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kudos.  But I'm afraid that doesn't fully reassure me.

First of all PayPal never had to tell me off for lack of funds and I would like to keep it that way.

I would hope they automatically first take the funds in my PayPal account, then for the remainder of the amount automatically my Preferred Payment method and failing that automatically the other payment methods. Automatically !

I'm not a young chap you see.  And suppose I'm taken to the hospital following a stroke or something of the sort. Result:  Google might block my email account and for a lot of things I depend on that email account. That's what worries me. You see ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.