PayPal Text message Keeps asking to confirm transaction?

willrob68
New Community Member

Hi, I have not long received a text message from PayPal asking me to confirm that a recent transaction was genuine. i.e.

"1" if authorised

"2" if not authorised

I pressed 1 to say my transaction was authorised and upon the press of send I was warned that the text message would cost me some money. No problems I sent the text anyway.

I then received another text message from PayPal asking the exact same question as in the previous text. Thinking that I had input the wrong data i.e. I should have sent "1" instead of just 1, I re-sent the reply in which I was probably charged again for sending the text message.

To my amazement I received another Text Message from PayPal asking for a third time the exact same question? How many times do I have to answer and pay for a Transaction confirmation Text from PayPal before they accept that I confirm the transaction? (By the way I didn't send the third confirmation text)

I'm assuming the Text from PayPal is genuine - 62226

Thanks

Will.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Carriej56
New Community Member
I’ve had this today but it looks dodgy. I did try to reply (it won’t go through) did you ever find anything out about the number? Is 62226 a paypal number? Thanks
Login to Me Too

BKT50
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me tonight, after sending money to my friend for the first time. I did not reply at all. They keep re-sending the same text, so far, 3 times. I went back to the PayPal site, and pulled up the "chat now" feature. That resulted in the "virtual agent" telling me that it is PayPal sending the text, but when I tried to ask another question, as in, why are they doing this via text instead of email, where I can clearly see it's coming from PayPal, "virtual agent" repeated the process it already asked and told me. <Insert eyeroll> I will be calling them during normal business hours tomorrow. 

Login to Me Too

TwoRun
Contributor
Contributor
I had this happen today. I called PayPal and was told that the payment had gone through and that they wouldn’t be texting me to confirm it. [PayPal] Did you pay $xxxx USD to (friend’s name) on February 4, 2020? Reply 1 if yes or 2 if no [Reply Needed]
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.