NSF from closed bank account

WebWideJosh
Contributor
Contributor

I moved my account from BBVA to another bank and they required that I withdraw all the funds to $0 balance, then it went closed-pending.

While closed-pending PayPal/Ebay charged my old account for an eBay shipping label fee. This is despite my new bank being "preferred" in PayPal and not set up (anywhere I can find) in eBay.

The bank was kind enough to credit the $32 NSF fee when I explained but I also read on PayPal that they will try to do this 2 more times. Will they try from the same account, causing the issue again or will they pull it from my "preferred" account?

Other than re-opening the old account and putting money in it I don't know how to prevent a string of NSF fees from occurring. I cannot find where to change the setting about which account eBay pulls shipping label charges from either, so I'm afraid to sell/ship on eBay until I figure this out.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WebWideJosh 

Unfortunately, the instant bank payment process is automated and PayPal will continue to debit that bank account until you add money to that bank account so they can successfully debit it or they’ve exhausted the attempts and tap your credit card. If it was an eCheck, PayPal will make multiple attempts until exhausted and notify you and eBay of the failed eCheck. Then you may attempt to resend payment again.

Of course, your bank will charge you fees for each failed debit.

You probably have a billing agreement set up to do automatic payments to eBay which are separate settings to your preferred payment method settings.

To change it for future transactions:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-an-automatic-payment-and-how-do-i-cancel-or-upda...

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.