How can I reverse my payment

charisseapril
Contributor
Contributor

I have mistakenly put my transfer as a payment instead of sending this to a friend I sent it as a payment to her and the money was on hold

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@charisseapril 

Can’t reverse it from your end.

You have two options:

Option 1: Recipient has to issue a refund but PayPal does not refund fees on goods and services payments.

Recipient can issue refund of the amount actually received so for example, IF the amount you sent was $10 and the fee was $1.00, $9.00 should be refunded, not $10, otherwise if refunding in full PayPal will also take the $1 in fees from your friend’s account to refund you the full $10.

Since the money is on hold temporarily unavailable, the refund will come from your friend’s PayPal balance or bank account. The money on hold will be released after 21 days.

Then you send a new payment as friends and family.

For your friend to issue refund, they have to follow these steps:

Here's how to make a full or partial refund within 180 days following the date of the original payment:

1. Go to Activity.
  2. Click the transaction you want to refund and then click Refund this payment.
  3. For 'Refund amount', enter the amount you want to refund, (you may have the option to refund a partial amount of the payment) and click Continue.
  4. Review your information to make sure you entered the correct refund amount and click Issue Refund.

If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to issue the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. 

Option 2:  Your friend mark the transaction as “order processed” and then ask you to confirm receipt to release money:

You can help to release the eligible payments by following one of the below steps:

• Add Tracking. Use one of our approved shipping carriers and we’ll release the hold 1 day after the courier confirmed delivery.
  • Update the order status if the held payment is for a service or intangible item (e.g. piano lessons, e-book) and you'll get your money in 7 days

Otherwise, the payment will be released up to 21 days after you received it, provided there aren't any issues with your transaction or account. 

Here’s how to add tracking information or change the order status: 

1. Go to your Activity
  2. Find the transaction you would like to update, then click Get your money
  3. If you sold a product, select Product to add tracking information or print shipping label directly. 
  4. If you sold an intangible item or service, select Service or virtual product to confirm order status. 
  5. Click Submit

Once you click 'Submit', the buyer receives an email notifying them that you entered the shipment tracking information for this transaction (if applicable). The email includes the tracking number, order status, and shipping company. 

After that, you can send money again as friends and family to cover the fees that was deducted from your payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.