Gosh what a disaster this company is

Kroptokin
Contributor
Contributor

I need to add a bank account so I can withdraw funds. Pretty simple you might have thought

First problem - I opened my account in one country but am working for one year in another. I can't add the mobile number for the temporary residence country to my account. It is not allowed. So - 'security' confirmations have to go to my original country phone - which I hardly use. (Basically PayPal doesn't support people who live abroad - which seems strange for an 'international' company)

Once over that hurdle - I'm trying to get an SMS code so I can confirm the bank account details for a withdrawal. But whenever I request it I get a message "We're sorry we're not able to process your request right now". I've been trying for an hour. 

No response to help requests naturally.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kroptokin 

It does have to do with countries, YOU CAN'T USE ONE COUNTRIES PAYPAL ACCOUNT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

Oh theres a surprise that is what is happening isn't it.

READ the link.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-paypal-address-to-another-country-faq143...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kroptokin 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

Paypal is just a payment processor and not a bank and can only provide the services that the government or banks of each country allow them to offer. 

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kroptokin
Contributor
Contributor

Actually it is nothing directly to do with moving countries and, for the record, I did try to transfer all my funds out before moving countries - that was in fact mistake - because PayPal will only let me add a UK number to my account and not the number of the country I am working in I can only receive SMS confirmation messages via data roaming which is a problem.

Anyway - after a long wait I got that fixed. Someone from Customer service finally helped me add a bank accrly ount. I transfered 50 USD as a test. It worked. I tried to transfer a larger sum - blocked again. So - 2 days on and I cannot access funds which are mine (in law) and which I need - somewhat urgently. Clearly PayPal was a huge mistake. Payoneer offer an international payment card which seems like it will get round a lot of these issues.

I called and the guy was quite nice but point blank told me he couldn't give me my money!!! He couldn't even  tell me when the block would be lifted!!!!! He couldn't even tell me what I had to do to lift the block!!!!

Your comment about 'PayPal can only do what the laws in each country allow" has nothing to do with the problems I am describing (out of control 'security' checks blocking real people from accessing their money) - it makes me think you are in fact working for PayPal doing PR managagment.

Anyway - at this point my sole aim is to get my money out of this madhouse and find another provider.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kroptokin 

It does have to do with countries, YOU CAN'T USE ONE COUNTRIES PAYPAL ACCOUNT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

Oh theres a surprise that is what is happening isn't it.

READ the link.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-paypal-address-to-another-country-faq143...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kroptokin
Contributor
Contributor

Another one working for PayPal by the look of it.

The link you've sent me says that you can't change your address to that of another country. FIne. As I've explained - that isn't my problem.

My problem is that I can't withdraw money to a bank account - 4 days after I started trying to do this.  I've called PayPal 3 times and no one has been able either to tell me when the block will be lifted or what I need to do to get it lifted. If my bank blocks my card for security reasons I can call them and they immediately unblock it. It appears PayPal has no such system. 

A payment service which blocks you withdrawing money is not much use.

The only connection here with countries is that it is possible - though not certain - that the block is related to the fact that I logged in in one country and then in another. Even if that does trigger a security block it should be possible to get it lifted.  (If - as I'm now told it will be lifted automatically after 72 hours every fraudster in the world must know this and it is a pointless security block anyway).

So - the 'accepted' answer does not come close to addresing my topic. The best answer may be to use Payoneer whose international payment card is international.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kroptokin 

Well insulting someone trying to help you is a great way to get help.

No i do not work for paypal, this is a 'user to user' community forum and i'm a user the same as you.

I can see why you are having issues withdrawing, good luck with payoneer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kroptokin
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

To be fair you are right - the security algorithm does seem to regard logins in a new country as an issue. And so - as you said I would have been wiser to have withdrawn my funds before I went to a new country. So your advice was relevant. My apologies.-

As for PayPal - 6 days after they blocked my withdrawal - 3 phone calls and multiple messages, and still nowhere near a resolution. They have essentially captured my balance. I've offered to e.g. send them a copy  of my passport to prove my identity - but they couldn't accept that; it would depend on the resolutions team who would get back to me in 72 hours. Though of course they didn't. So nothing. They won't even let me help them to authenticate me. Based on my experience anyone would have to be insane to leave any money in this company.
Thanks again for your useful pointer about countries. 

Login to Me Too

Kimmyp2633
New Community Member
Me too. Except it’s rven worse with me I think because the damn office has been closed fitting this entire covid **bleep**. I’ve called. Oyntless times and message after message still no help! And each time I called get this...wait for it....PAYPAL IS CLOSED the automated voice tells me before it abruptly and rudely hangs up on me! Soooo **bleep**!!
Login to Me Too

Windy-XX
New Community Member

Totally agree that for an international accepted financial institute the customer should be offered service. Paypal is lacking that service.

The simple solution for adding foreign telephone numbers into the account so the account can still be used even if the account holder moves to different countries without the hassle of opening a new account.

Understanding that money transfers should be monitored by PayPal because of fraud and money laundering, adding foreign telephone numbers to keep the account operational is legitimate.

Paypal has some work to do.

Alternatives are still hard to find.

Kudos

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.