linking debit card to paypal account

cre8love
Contributor
Contributor

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2358

Says:
"You can link your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card to your PayPal account and use it to send money or pay for things.
To link your card to your PayPal account, the billing address on your card statement must match the address on your PayPal account.
You can't link a gift card, prepaid card, or one-time-use card to your PayPal account."

on the phone help, they told me I can NOT do this. 
First they said it was a different thing than withdrawing money. So I asked what I would need to do to make it possible, then they said I should disregard this web-page, it was not possible.

frustration sets in !!     so I hung up instead of cursing them, and now I ask here.

thanks for ANY help, how can I spend my paypal funds!!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cre8love

I think you may be confusing 2 separate things.

Firstly you can add a bank account to paypal and that sets up the direct debit mandate so you can pay a seller direct from your bank account via instant bank transfer.

OR you can add a debit card and use that to pay and that takes it direct from the card / bank account.

BUT even though you add a card you still have to link a bank account at some stage to verify your account.

IF you have funds in your paypal account balance then you can spend them BUT only if you have a card linked, the funds are not taken from the card its just there as a back up funding source that paypal like you to have. The funds in your balance have to be in the currency that the person you are sending the funds to accepts though.

HOWEVER if you want to withdraw those funds to your bank account you can only do so if you have your actual bank account linked setting up the direct debit mandate. You can't withdraw funds to a card in the U.S.

If you DO NOT have any funds in your paypal account balance then paypal will take from any funding source that you have linked to your paypal account BUT if you have your bank account linked they will use that first and if you don't want to have that debited you can click on "change" during the payment process and select a card instead.

Got to go to work now will check later if i have not understood your query correctly.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cre8love

What country are you in?

Why did they say you could not link a card?

What type of card are you trying to add?

What message do you get when you try to add it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cre8love
Contributor
Contributor

Kernowlass!  Thanks for your response!
I am in Oregon, U.S. of A.
I had to link my visa debit card to get an account, I am now trying to spend the money someone sent me.
The website told me I could use my debit card to spend the money if I conected them, which seems to me to be weird off the top as how would the card know to take the money from paypal instead of the bank account??   Yet the web-page says I can.
I could find no link to add my card in that way/to that asspect/system, just this web-page I reference below again, which said I could do it.    I know I can link a bank account (which I thought was already done by giving them my debit card!), or request they send me a check...     but checks take a long time, and linking the bankl might be the only answer (tho it does seem to have a $500/month limit)...      but...   
I know that paypal site is a bit of a maze, and things are sometimes hard to find, so I thought I was just missing where to go and I called them..   The phone helper just said, simply, it was not possible.  So I said maybe we are meaning different things by the same words, what is really my option, is there anyway I can link my debit card.  they said no, disregard that web-page it is wrong   =(
here it is again...

Says:
"You can link your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card to your PayPal account and use it to send money or pay for things."

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cre8love

I think you may be confusing 2 separate things.

Firstly you can add a bank account to paypal and that sets up the direct debit mandate so you can pay a seller direct from your bank account via instant bank transfer.

OR you can add a debit card and use that to pay and that takes it direct from the card / bank account.

BUT even though you add a card you still have to link a bank account at some stage to verify your account.

IF you have funds in your paypal account balance then you can spend them BUT only if you have a card linked, the funds are not taken from the card its just there as a back up funding source that paypal like you to have. The funds in your balance have to be in the currency that the person you are sending the funds to accepts though.

HOWEVER if you want to withdraw those funds to your bank account you can only do so if you have your actual bank account linked setting up the direct debit mandate. You can't withdraw funds to a card in the U.S.

If you DO NOT have any funds in your paypal account balance then paypal will take from any funding source that you have linked to your paypal account BUT if you have your bank account linked they will use that first and if you don't want to have that debited you can click on "change" during the payment process and select a card instead.

Got to go to work now will check later if i have not understood your query correctly.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cre8love
Contributor
Contributor

thanks..  again..    this:
"HOWEVER if you want to withdraw those funds to your bank account you can only do so if you have your actual bank account linked setting up the direct debit mandate. You can't withdraw funds to a card in the U.S."
is a more direct and clear expression of the issue than I got on the phone...

however, I still think the paypal website is worded wrong as it sure seems to say something different!!

"You can link your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card to your PayPal account and use it to send money or pay for things."

anyway, thanks again, I think I'm done here...
 What I want is to take the money in my paypal account that was just put there by a friend who wants me to use it to do some upgrades to her house (she is not in oregon (but I am, and so is her house), so she could not hand me the cash and thought paypal would be quicker than mailing a check).  So, I want to give the cash to the building supply store..   which apparently means I need to link a bank account, wait a bit as it all moves through channels..   or send it back and have her forward me a check   😃

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cre8love

No its still correct.

I told you that you could not WITHDRAW funds from your paypal account balance TO your card in the U.S.

You can only withdraw to a BANK ACCOUNT.

What that link is telling you is you can SEND payments to other people using a debit card ie when you pay a seller, it does NOT say you can withdraw funds from your paypal account to a card.

That is what your friend did, she SENT a payment from her card etc to your paypal account BUT you can't withdraw those funds unless you have a bank account added. No one sends to a card direct.

So to sum it up yes you need a bank account linked to your paypal account to WITHDRAW FUNDS from your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.