Who Do You Recommend for Business Web Hosting? Other Paypal User Advice Wanted.

HolidayGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm kind of lost on this. There are so many hosting sites that it's hard to know where to start. I've tried a couple places but been a little unsatisfied for a lot of reasons. A lot of the sites don't tell you the full story of their terms until you're almost done signing up, then you see something you don't like. A lot of the hosting sites are really heavy on resources using a lot of flash eliments and stuff moving around, etc., really a turn off to me I guess...

What do other paypal users use for their webhosting? Do you have a business online?

Here's what I think I want:

1. Free to start (don't mind upgrading if I like it).
  2. Let's me use my own domain.
  3. Simple site, dashboard and interface, not heavy on computer resources.
  4. Simple site builder with templates.
  5. Can integrate easily with paypal.
  6. Support a messanger or email of some kind.
  7. No ads.
  8. Doesn't require a bunch of browser plugins like flash, java, h264, etc.

I think that's all I want but I'm not sure completely. Feel free to advise me.

Anyway, thank you in advance. Who would be good for me... what host do you use... have I missed anything, etc.

Thx

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

HolidayGuy
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreationsI looked your example over. Looks good.

I found some reviews of 000webhost that did not look fake (I've been discovering that hosting sites put up their own reviews of themselves HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!)... Okay, this host is being thoroughly trashed for a certain issue. Despite it's apparent good performance, they have a business model practice of hard-upselling people by claiming that they've exceeded their limits, then locking up their site until you upgrade (extortion...?). The reviewers said they were no where near their limits. I can't know of course, but it's a consistant complaint across multiple sites so... I guess it's not a good host for me... LOL

However, I found a positive review of a small host called 'A Small Orange.' I'm going to look at them next.

Has anyone heard of them?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It seems like you are starting some good research.  As you continue it's likely to get more confusing before it gets better.  As you go along, though, you should start to see some trends and narrow the focus to what you think will work for your business; just don't like pricing be the deciding factor.  It's a long-term committment, so make sure you select a stable company and package which will work for you.

Never heard of the Orange.

Some smaller companyies may actually be using some of the main characters rather than building their own systems.

Does the company have a toll-free help number.  That's another place to go for help.  Phone company and ask about their services.  I know 1and1 has an actual sales department in their PA officies.

When you go to the web site, so the company display a comparison of their different levels of service in a tabular or column format?  Those that do would rank high on my list.  

There are some generally know companies like GoDaddy, WordPress, and more which offer multiple varieties; some of them focus on the free or informational web sites.  Others, like 1and1, started many years ago with a business focus.

Whatever you decide, the 30-day free option is a great way to evaluate a product.  I've looked a some years ago and my focus was on web design and ecommerce.  Sometimes it only takes a day to figure out the site doesn't fit; other times it may take longer.  Each time it guides to to select the features that work for me and my customers.

For the shop I prefer a nice structure database design for products with categories and subcategories.

Login to Me Too

HolidayGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Oh Geez... Apparently Small Orange used to be a good little host out of Texas until 2016 when they dropped email support (then restored due to customer revolt), outsourced live chat to India, cut services and their uptime tanked... sigh...

GoDaddy is something I've considered because that's where my domain is. They're big and they're not going anywhere. However... There are things I just don't like about them. Their site is slow and a resource hog. It's not clear if their free trial is actually free, or are they actually lining you up with the payment via the click accept, or the monthly deal just a breakdown but they actually want you to pay the full year... and they push the phone call, but hide the live chat which makes me think they want to get me on the phone with a pitch man and try to push me around.

Starting to feel a little frustrated LOL

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The frustration will likely get worse before it gets better 😞

And it may even get more confusing, but you need to focus on what YOU want for YOUR business.

Do  Google search for "best web histing services" and you'll find a lot of options, even companies which have compared different ones.  One of the search results points to a 2017 review by PC Magazine.  The tabulation looiks good and puts 1and1 near the top star rating.  Just checked, it looks like those ratings are for general purpose and not ecommerce, but 1and1 still rates high for support.

For ecommerce compeitive pricing is stilll about $30/month.

c|Net usually has good reviews for many electronic services.

Login to Me Too

HolidayGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Right, I actually have two search tabs open 'best host' and have been going through as we chat... That's how I found all the fake reviews of hosts rating themselves... and it's amazing how good they all are Smiley Tongue

Okay, I'm checking out 1and1 next. be back later

thanks again

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I just checked 1and1 and it seems that they changed there pricing structure. I stil have a $360/year site and I don't know how it compares to the new variations.   MIne is the online store basic.

Just pay attention to the price after the introductory year.  They used to have a better deal for the first year.

Anyway, if you do decide to go with 1and1  you could use my referal code when signing up https://www.1and1 dot com/?kwk=17171025  with all the characters following with no spaces.  The site may or may not be the best for you, so just make sure you go with what will be your best.  It looks like with 1and1 you pay for the first month but then it get's refunded if you cancel.  I have 10 or so domains and several web sites with them for over 10 years.  I have a lot of e-mails included.

If you want a good site it will cost some money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.